Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good value leather holster?

Banned
    I might be missing something but I just priced a Kramer horsehide belt Scabbard holster for a Glock 19 and the only wanted $126 for it. Given that as people here have said it's going to last the rest of my life I don't think that's an excessive price.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I used to have several Kirkpatrick holsters. Here’s their take on the VM2 https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/p...e-iwb-holster/. Not sure if the P07 is available though.

CZ P-07 is listed on Privateer Leather's gun list. No experience myself, but IIRC a few folks here have had positive experiences (there are a few other similar threads if you punch "Privateer" into the search box).

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I might be missing something but I just priced a Kramer horsehide belt Scabbard holster for a Glock 19 and the only wanted $126 for it. Given that as people here have said it's going to last the rest of my life I don't think that's an excessive price.
    Agreed.

My kramer or ryan Grizzle horsehide are incredibly rugged.

The difference between good leather and a factory made piece is night and day

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm not really a leather guy, but my father is just dipping his toe in to this.

He just picked up a CZ P-07 and I think a 3 oclock holster similar to a Versa Max II would work well for him.

The price of custom leather appears jumped significantly in the last several years since I last looked. Who's the good value (good price to quality ratio) in leather now?
    I’m going to assume this is for a concealment rig since you mentioned the Versa Max II, so the first thing I'd do is ask him, "Why leather?"

You don’t conceal a pistol. You conceal a pistol and the holster in which it rides. When I was in the gun business, I saw a lot of folks agonize over fractions of a millimeter to find the most concealable pistol, ultmately choosing a pistol so small that it was harder to shoot well than something like a G19. Then they’d stick it in a cheap holster that made it a larger overall package than the G19 would have been in a modern holster.

Instant backwards progress.

Kydex can be thinner, stiffer, and lighter than leather with the same or greater strength, so there’s less to conceal. If we limit materials to leather, then I'd go for horsehide over cowhide because it offers all of the same advantages over cowhide that Kydex offers over leather. That said, good cowhide is better than bad horsehide.

From there, I'd look at design. It's easy to say that a specific design might work for someone else, but most of us were not able to predict what designs would work for ourselves—and we have a box of almost-right holsters in the gun room as a result. Have him try some OWB designs as well as IWB. It’s surprising how some people just refuse to go IWB.

If I were to buy a holster today, it would be a Kydex. If I were buying a leather holster today, it would be a horsehide Kramer. Designs for either would be straight drop or a very slight FBI rake, with the attaching loops on wings.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I haven't been able to find a decent OWB holster for my Walther P99C. I checked, and Kramer offers them. I'll be ordering one of their belt scabbards for it soon. It'll be the first leather holster I've ordered in over ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm not really a leather guy, but my father is just dipping his toe in to this.

He just picked up a CZ P-07 and I think a 3 oclock holster similar to a Versa Max II would work well for him.

The price of custom leather appears jumped significantly in the last several years since I last looked. Who's the good value (good price to quality ratio) in leather now?
    http://www.fist-holsters.com/ has a good value/cost ratio. Plus they have a wide variety of guns covered, including P-07 ("duty"). For many holsters, right in the holster page you can pick leather or kydex or "hybrid." Their #20 is VM2-like.

When I was into leather holsters I'd look out for used Kramer horsehide. They're top of the line holsters (the horsehide is almost like kydex) and the resale value is super high. The value is that if you want to get out of it you can get 90% of your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’m going to assume this is for a concealment rig since you mentioned the Versa Max II, so the first thing I'd do is ask him, "Why leather?"

I'm asking about leather mostly because I'm already fairly familiar with the kydex scene.

In 2013 or so, TLG let me borrow a Looper, IIRC, and I discovered the magic of AIWB for my lanky frame and never looked back. Until that point, I carried a Glock 19 in Ryan Grizzle Town & Country (similar to the VM-2). It was comfortable to carry and concealed better than holsters with the loops across the gun itself, like a summer special, or kydex equivalents.

I don't know if leather is the right choice for him. Bless his heart, he just moved out of CA and is getting the first taste of freedom. Like many newbies, he can't imagine concealing anything bigger than a P365. He has a couple decent kydex holsters that he seems ho-hum on, so I though I'd offer him a leather option.
    David S.

Let him borrow that g19 and ryan grizzle. Its similar sized to the p07 and an awesome holster.

User Tag List