Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Vehicles

Hybrid Vehicles

so as not to hijack The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread I thought I'd start a separate thread.

I'm interested in hybrid vehicles. Specifically I've personally been looking at the offerings from Volvo (The XC60 and XC90 are the only ones in the US, I believe) because they are luxury cars that increase performance/acceleration when they add the electric motor, and *may* get you access to your state's HOV lane as well. But I'm also interested in learning more about the technology and hearing about other models/options out there.

Just to be clear, if we want to talk pure electrics, I'd rather that be a different thread and we keep this one to hybrids.

ETA:
    I was wrong about Volvo. They have five models.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-05-2020 at 11:03 AM.

The fact that Volvo is now Chinese owned would eliminate them from consideration by me.

Buddy has the BMW I3. Loves it. Plug in with small generator onboard. Not sure if that fits your criteria. His reasoning is that europe is ahead of the game in that market. It is a consumer reports recommended buy with good reliability. I think he said they are introducing an SUV model next year.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

My understanding is that the Toyota Hybrid drivetrain is the most proven system out there. To that end, I think the Lexus options, which utilize Toyota tech, are certainly worth looking at. We own a Lexus RX Hybrid that has well over 200K miles on it at this point with extremely minimal issues. Has been absolutely reliable and pleasant to own / drive. Gas efficiency averages 25 MPG, a little less than that for my wife…

Not sure if you're looking to purchase new, but Lexus on the secondary market is a great buy, often better priced than comparable Toyotas due to luxury depreciation.

A few friends have the toyota RAV4 hybrid and seem happy with them... but they are only into the first months of ownership.

I'd stay away from Volvo due to their poor reliability:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-05-10-36-34.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  24.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-05-10-38-21.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  25.6 KB

Most Toyota/Lexus hybrids are slower than their gas counterparts and "performance hybrid" seems like an oxymoron to me, but Porsche is developing a 911 hybrid, Lexus has the LC500h, and Acura has the NSX.

I'm relatively satisfied with my 200k prius as a commuter & for urban camo, but performance it has not...

I don’t want to get too caught up in the Volvo thing. It was just an example.

Also looking more for a general discussion not so much advice. I just find the topic interesting and looking to chat about it with others that are interested or have hands on as well.

2.5-year owner of a second-hand 2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid AWD. This is the first generation for this model.
    Obtained from 1st owner sis-in-law who upgraded to a 2017 model. Had 111k miles on it , now approximately 125k.
    Unlike the smaller hybrids, it uses the IC motor fairly often and at lower speeds, with the electric drive being "auxiliary". So it gets lower milage in city driving conditions, just like a standard gasoline motor vehicle. This Winter so far, 16 mpg city, vs 25 Highway. Better overall in summer with the non-ethanol fuels.

I have all records for it since new, and it has been relatively trouble free. Two standard auto batteries in 14 years, and no other electrical gremlins. This is in weather conditions that routinely range from a high of 100 F down to -35 F.
    Not crazy about the CVT shifting- it can be slushy at low speeds. Stomp it -say on a highway onramp, and it does very well.

I will add that it has a nice amount of room, and this version seats 7.

Sis-in-law's newer Highlander Hybrid is basically the Lexus, and it shows a lot of refinement in every arena over the previous version.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 03-05-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Unlike the smaller hybrids, it uses the IC motor fairly often and at lower speeds, with the electric drive being "auxiliary". So it gets lower milage in city driving conditions, just like a standard gasoline motor vehicle. This Winter so far, 16 mpg city, vs 25 Highway.
    Interesting. My 2006 RX (similar curb weight to your Highlander?) does much better at city speeds than highway. In fact when we travel to RI for instance, where the roads are tighter and basically force slower driving speeds, our MPG shoots up from the mid 20s to the mid 30s. Of course there is less stop and go, but I find that our IC engine usually shuts off in that kind of driving as well.

The most reliable hybrids should be the ones that use the internal combustion motor to charge the battery that runs the wheel motors. That is because the drive train is much simpler, eliminating the need for a transmission and differential (the latter assumes all four wheels are independently driven). This also allows for most of the performance advantages of electric vehicles, including maximum torque at zero rpm, as well as a lighter vehicle. I also prefer BLDC motors to induction motors, mostly because the former does not suffer from (field to rotor) slip the way the latter does. BLDC can be heavier and is usually more costly, but BLDC offers performance advantages due to the lack of slip and the ease of using an observer model to control the motor.

User Tag List