Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 vs LCRx in .22LR for trigger control practice?

Site Supporter

Ruger GP100 vs LCRx in .22LR for trigger control practice?

Hi all,

I am primarily a Glock shooter, but am looking to acquire a .22LR revolver for the purposes of trigger control practice. I've found that pressing that long DA trigger benefits my Glock shooting as well, mainly from a perspective of trigger patience, letting it happen vs making it happen. The two revolvers I'm considering for this purpose are the Ruger GP100 (1757) and the LCRx (5435). I was wondering what you'd consider the pros and cons of these revolvers and which may be the best fit for this purpose. Also, with the use of snap caps would you consider them capable of regular dryfire practice? Any concerns there? Thanks for your time.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I am primarily a Glock shooter, but am looking to acquire a .22LR revolver for the purposes of trigger control practice. I've found that pressing that long DA trigger benefits my Glock shooting as well, mainly from a perspective of trigger patience, letting it happen vs making it happen. The two revolvers I'm considering for this purpose are the Ruger GP100 (1757) and the LCRx (5435). I was wondering what you'd consider the pros and cons of these revolvers and which may be the best fit for this purpose. Also, with the use of snap caps would you consider them capable of regular dryfire practice? Any concerns there? Thanks for your time.

Chris
    Cool OP. I'm seriously considering either the 2" or 4" LCR in .22. Or rather a 2" LCR or a 4" LCRx in .22. I've got a K-22 so if I'm adding one, it'll be on this small frame.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I've owned a GP100 357mag and currently own a LCR38. I've never handled an LCRx 22lr or the 22lr GP100.

Personally, I find the GP100 more like a traditional DA revolver. The LCR38 feels more like a heavier 3rd Gen Glock to me.
    However, the Glock 48 I just bought has a more defined "wall" that my G19.3, which to my senses would be more like the GP100.

So, I'd go with whichever one feels more like your Glock(s). Either should be fine for dryfire with snap caps, but I'd consult the manuals to be certain.

Trigger "feel" aside, I'd be more inclined to get the LCRx because of the light weight and superior trigger (not comparing it to the Glock, but on the merits of traditional DA revolvers). While made of polymer and aluminum rather than solid steel like the GP100, it should be plenty durable for 22lr. If I were going to pay the weight penalty for an all steel 22lr, I'd find an older S&W 17 or 18, but that's a different discussion.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cool OP. I'm seriously considering either the 2" or 4" LCR in .22. Or rather a 2" LCR or a 4" LCRx in .22. I've got a K-22 so if I'm adding one, it'll be on this small frame.
    Ruger makes a 4" LCRx in .22? I didn't see one. I think it's just a 3".

Ruger makes a 4" LCRx in .22? I didn't see one. I think it's just a 3".
    Nope, you are correct. I typo'd. I meant the 3".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would want adjustable sights or, at the least, well regulated sights, since the bullet must strike where you are aiming to make this practice most valuable. After that, I would take the lighter weight, harder to shoot revolver, since that makes steering the sights while working a heavy trigger that much harder. I use a S&W Scandium .22 with a 3 inch or so barrel and adjustable sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hi all,

Chris
    I would personally go with the LCRx 3 inch in this specific scenario. The trigger will be better than the GP100, but more importantly the LCRx can be pressed into service for a lot of different tasks. It's an excellent marksmanship trainer for sure, but it's also a great kit gun, and in the worst case scenario could be carried as well. The GP100 is awesome for sure, but its size and weight sort of relegate it to strictly a marksmanship trainer.

I had the GP100, currently have the 3” LCRx. I prefer the LCR. As jetfire noted, it’s the more versatile of the two. The GP was too big and heavy as a 22 for my tastes. I love me some 357 GP100 tho

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the insightful replies. Your comments make a lot of sense based on my purposes for this revolver. It looks like the LCRx is the ticket.

Site Supporter
    To follow up... with the use of snap caps would you consider the LCRx capable of regular dryfire practice? Any concerns there? Any specific snap cap you'd recommend?

User Tag List