Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 vs LCRx in .22LR for trigger control practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    To follow up... with the use of snap caps would you consider the LCRx capable of regular dryfire practice? Any concerns there? Any specific snap cap you'd recommend?
    Whichever's cheapest. Ruger claims the LCR rimfire guns are safe to dry fire empty, but it still gives me the heebies.

I’ve been thinking about picking up a .22 revolver for a while now. At first I was going to go with a S&W 317 but after handling the 3 inch LCRx and the 317 side by side, the Ruger won. I just purchased one from Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore. They had been running around $450 for a while now but today through Sunday that are having a sale, $430 shipped for the 3 inch .22 LR LCRx. I couldn’t resist. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it.

Link:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/193766

To follow up... with the use of snap caps would you consider the LCRx capable of regular dryfire practice? Any concerns there? Any specific snap cap you'd recommend?
    The Hillman Group 370326 Ribbed Plastic Anchor, 4-6-8 X 7/8-Inch, Yellow, 100-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5WVCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_PCzyEb78GR2KH

I use these in my 43c as snap caps.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I would personally go with the LCRx 3 inch in this specific scenario. The trigger will be better than the GP100, but more importantly the LCRx can be pressed into service for a lot of different tasks. It's an excellent marksmanship trainer for sure, but it's also a great kit gun, and in the worst case scenario could be carried as well. The GP100 is awesome for sure, but its size and weight sort of relegate it to strictly a marksmanship trainer.
    This ^.

While not the guns in question, I have owned both a S&W 617 4" no lock that I bought new in 1998 and a S&W 63 3" that I bought new a couple years ago.

I never really shot the 617 4" much at all and eventually sold it. It was very accurate but heavy and bulky enough I never really felt the urge to do anything other than occasionally bring it out to shoot.

I still have my 63 and almost every time I go shooting, I take it with me. I really, really like shooting it and it is usually with me when I go down to the pond to do some fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    While not the guns in question, I have owned both a S&W 617 4" no lock that I bought new in 1998 and a S&W 63 3" that I bought new a couple years ago.
    I never really shot the 617 4" much at all and eventually sold it. It was very accurate but heavy and bulky enough I never really felt the urge to do anything other than occasionally bring it out to shoot.
    I still have my 63 and almost every time I go shooting, I take it with me. I really, really like shooting it and it is usually with me when I go down to the pond to do some fishing.
    I also have the 617, and I agree, but I will be keeping it because I like it, but more importantly, my reluctant wife likes it.

But I was coming here to say sorta the same thing, that the GP and LCR are at opposite ends of the spectrum, perhaps is the SP being skipped over?
    Name:  junk Annotation 2020-03-06 082157.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  33.7 KB

My LCRx came in a couple weeks ago. I’ve put a few hundred rounds through it so far, it’s a ton of fun to shoot!

Name:  D201DEE0-9256-4B15-9557-59F8D2511294.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  61.5 KB

I’ve been trying different types of ammo to see what works best. This is an 8 shot group, double action, at 7 yards with Winchester Super X Lead Round Nose Copper Plated.

Name:  B625F98D-68EC-43AE-A23F-F5D20201E5F8.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  52.3 KB

It is my best group so far. Overall, ammo brand doesn’t seem to have as much of an effect on accuracy for me as trigger control does. I look forward to putting many more rounds through this gun, I am certain it will prove to be an effective training tool as well as continue to be just plain fun.

Site Supporter
    Just another plug here for the LRCx. Honestly it is one of the most interesting guns Ruger makes for me. When I was managing a logal gun range, we got one in as a rental gun. Almost every day I would come into work about 20 minutes early, grab my bulk 22 box and the LCR from the safe, and shoot 50-75 rounds before clocking in. It did wonders for shooting the 226, and they are honestly just fun guns to shoot. It is on my own personal short list to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    Just another plug here for the LRCx. Honestly it is one of the most interesting guns Ruger makes for me. When I was managing a logal gun range, we got one in as a rental gun. Almost every day I would come into work about 20 minutes early, grab my bulk 22 box and the LCR from the safe, and shoot 50-75 rounds before clocking in. It did wonders for shooting the 226, and they are honestly just fun guns to shoot. It is on my own personal short list to purchase.
    If you could pick the "most practical" universally useful gun made, it's probably the winner.

Hi all,

I am primarily a Glock shooter, but am looking to acquire a .22LR revolver for the purposes of trigger control practice. I've found that pressing that long DA trigger benefits my Glock shooting as well, mainly from a perspective of trigger patience, letting it happen vs making it happen. The two revolvers I'm considering for this purpose are the Ruger GP100 (1757) and the LCRx (5435). I was wondering what you'd consider the pros and cons of these revolvers and which may be the best fit for this purpose. Also, with the use of snap caps would you consider them capable of regular dryfire practice? Any concerns there? Thanks for your time.

Chris
    My first impression was to suggest a Glock 44 (.22lr) since you are primarily a Glock shooter. Between the two revolvers you list, I would go with the LCRx. The GP100 is a beast of a revolver for the .357 cartridge. You don't need all that with a .22. I think the LCRx would be more fun due to its weight savings over the GP100.

From my experience with my Mod. 17, you want to use something cheap and in bulk, because the heavy strike from the hammer destroys snap caps in a few dozen strikes at most.

Most of my guns have seen roughly 100x as many dryfires as live rounds. Not my 17.

Mostly I ride the hammer with my thumb and stop the blow to the firing pin when I dryfire my 17.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List