Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 6+1 Moss590 vs old 5+1 versus old 5+1+1 extension?

New 6+1 Moss590 vs old 5+1 versus old 5+1+1 extension?

So apparently moss berg came out with a 6+1 version of the 18.5” 590 since I bought my 5 shot mag tube version several years back. Always thought it was weird that the 14” NFA gun and the 18.5” gun both had 5 rounds in the mag tube but the 18.5” had a longer mag tube but not enough to fit a 6th.

I asked moss berg once and they told me the 18.5” has a longer mag tube in spite of same round count so people couldn’t put a factory 14” barrel on there illegally, but of course you could take a hacksaw!

So anyway, here I’m now wondering, do I sell my old 18.5 5+1 and buy a new 6+1, or do I buy a +1 extension, or do I keep it as is with the 5 shot tube?

I’m on a budget here but just so I actually understand the pros and the cons, answer me like money is no object. Is there actually any benefit to the old 5+1 compared to the new 6+1?

Is there any benefit to a 5+1 and a +1 extension added compared to the 6 or is the 6 always better stronger mechanically? I read in an old post here that some cities BAN extensions on pump guns so that’s a negative check to the extension but maybe by virtue of the mag connection being closer to the receiver it’s stronger but I doubt it. Just wondering if my version would become more desirable in anyway to the 6+1 or if I just got the short end of the straw here.
    Last edited by Sanch; 03-05-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Get the plus one extension and drive on.

Very happy with my S&J +1 on my issued 590A1. It brings the tube flush with the muzzle of an 18.5” barrel. Never had an issue with it loosening.

https://sjhardware.us/product/mossbe...mag-extension/

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post

So anyway, here I’m now wondering, do I sell my old 18.5 5+1 and buy a new 6+1, or do I buy a +1 extension, or do I keep it as is with the 5 shot tube?
    Take a shotgun course and don't worry about +/-1 round.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

It looks like vang comp might make a 2 shot extension for my older 5+1 that brings capacity to 7 and is flush to the end of the barrel so now I’m thinking about that.

Just a reminder if you hunt with it some states do not allow >5 round mags on shotguns for deer. You can plug it though.

Ironically a 10 round .357 levergun isnt an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Very happy with my S&J +1 on my issued 590A1. It brings the tube flush with the muzzle of an 18.5” barrel. Never had an issue with it loosening.

https://sjhardware.us/product/mossbe...mag-extension/
    I have one too. Great gear.

I have an S&J +2 that sits flush to the 18.5 and works great.

I was reading through old posts here and @willie was talking about buying a 835 barrel to put on his 590. But it had to be 18.5" 590 because of mag tube sizing.

So it got me thinking, I bet the 835 barrels are ONLY usable on the old 5-shot 18.5" mag tubes? And the newer 6-shot 590s won't work?

Still on the fence if I actually want an 835 barrel but its something Ive been interested in learning bird hunting for survival skill purposes and my old lady doesnt want any more guns in the hosue but buying another barrel is a accessory and I dont complain about her accessories bracelets necklaces haha so I found a loophole!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I was reading through old posts here and @willie was talking about buying a 835 barrel to put on his 590. But it had to be 18.5" 590 because of mag tube sizing.

So it got me thinking, I bet the 835 barrels are ONLY usable on the old 5-shot 18.5" mag tubes? And the newer 6-shot 590s won't work?

Still on the fence if I actually want an 835 barrel but its something Ive been interested in learning bird hunting for survival skill purposes and my old lady doesnt want any more guns in the hosue but buying another barrel is a accessory and I dont complain about her accessories bracelets necklaces haha so I found a loophole!
    My 6 year old 590a1 equipped with 18.5 inch barrel has a 5 shot tube. With a chambered round, it holds 6 shots. I think it was advertised as a 6 shot. My guess is that without fact checking I don't think that Mossberg has changed their format. This format has the 5 shot tube and the much longer 8(?)shot tube. The guns with 8 shot tubes are advertised as 9 shot weapons. This longer version has a 20 inch barrel. My lgs sells the 5 shot tube 590 as a 6 shot item per Mossberg.

I may be 1 shell off on the longer tube. But if it holds 7 shells, them Mossberg advertises it as an 8 shot. You see the pattern.

My vent rib barrel fitting the 5 shot tube is 24 inches long and is called a Turkey barrel. Mossberg sometimes sells different extra barrels for all models and then goes a long time without offering the scarce models. This one is a rarely sold accessory which I bought as new old and unopened stock on an auction. It is chambered for 3.5 inch shells and accepts choke tubes. Of course it fires any 12 ga shell.

User Tag List