Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Columbia, SC attractions

Columbia, SC attractions

I'm in columbia for the weekend and would like to ask the local folks if there is anything that I absolutely must see or anywhere that I absolutely must eat. I'm just down the road from PSA so I may swing by there. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I hear the zoo is great. Otherwise I'm lost.

Thanks

Are you single? If so go to Five Points and find a sorority girl to hook up with (if USCe is still in session?). Otherwise I can't help you. I went to school in Charleston and I always thought Columbia was sort of blah.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

USC is done with their semester, according to my pizza-delivering friend.

I'd be glad to hit a range with you (my time would be limited to a quick trip to an indoor range). I bet Al T. would too.

The zoo is good. I've been to the San Diego zoo, and I *far* prefer the Columbia Zoo (Riverbanks Zoo) because it does a great job at putting the animals in a setting where you can really see them.

The State Museum is good, but they wrapped up the "Body Worlds" exhibit a few weeks ago unfortunately (one of those exhibits where they inject the corpses with plastic and cut them open... it was amazing). There is also the Confederate Relic Room in the same building, but they keep goofy hours so I've never been.

If you have younger kids with you, the EdVenture museum (next to the State Museum) is OK, but overpriced. The Zoo is the best bet for them!

Let me know a budget range, I can make restaurant recommendations if you want...

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

I can only confirm that the Riverbanks Zoo is great. We try and take the kids a few times a year. If Al. T offers to go shooting take him up on it you'll have a lot of fun.

Inakaya is a good sushi bar restaurant. Jason's Deli is good. Mr. Friendly's restaurant is a different and good restaurant. Blue Marlin has good fish and steak.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Jason's Deli is good.

I love that place. The salad bar is awesome.

My college memories of Columbia;

1. Drunken visits for football games
    2. Being introduced to BBQ sauce that was yellow
    3. Being asked to put a shirt on in McDonalds
    4. Standing on the bar at a bar singing Rocky Top after a victory over the Cocks (recall I'm a TN grad)
    5. lots more stories similar to the above but you prob already get the "theme" of my visits

Side note; my friend attended undergrad and Pharmacy school there and was twice mugged at gunpoint during his time there. My agency has a field office there and I've avoided it like the plague.

Something you cannot find anywhere else is about a 35 minute drive from your location:

http://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm

If you are an outdoors sort, it's very impressive. Last stand of old growth swamp anywhere. There are raised trails so you can walk around and not get dirty.

If you are in the Two Notch road area, be cautious. That's the bad end of town.

No clue on eats, I'm more of a Ryan's type than a Chipotle sort of guy. There is a very nice Korean place on Decker Blvd.

Several gunshops in town, but nothing very special IMHO. Shooter's Choice is a mixed bag. Lots of stuff, service can be hit or miss.

PM me if you want to hit the outdoor range.

I'm in the harbison area, and it is just me and my wife. Budget range for food is variable...

I have all day tomorrow and most of Sunday to kill.

I would love to go shooting with either or both of you, although I do not have my gun as I flew in.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I hear http://www.pawleysfrontporch.com/ is supposed to have some awesome food.

User Tag List