Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Take downs against big guys

Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, since I'm a low-to-mid level blue belt whose only wrestling qualifications are "used to do jits in Oklahoma," but:

Against bigger/taller dudes, I like a body lock outside trip sort of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmTrAHBWTA. I find that if they're taller than me, I have an easier time getting good head position under their chin which helps get their balance. I also find that I have an easier time pummeling for underhooks if I'm shorter.

You can also do Tani Otoshi from there.

Interesting, in Aikido, the smaller person actually has the advantage in take downs/throws, since you're already below your opponent's center of balance. With some of the very short people I worked with, I'd actually do suwariwaza (working on the knees) because I couldn't lower enough on my feet to affect them. (A lot of Aikido is taking your opponent's center of balance and lowering your center, to take them down.) In my black belt test, I missed taking the center of balance on one of the students bigger than me. (I'm 6' 1" -- he's a couple inches taller.) So I swiped his feet out from under him.

Maybe some cross training in Aikido or Hapkido might help? (Hapkido is less energy based than Aikido. One place I worked, a co-worker who studied Hapkido and I had a lot of fun comparing the similar techniques and differences.)

User Tag List