Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Take downs against big guys

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    ...... I think part of my problem was I was probably high with my hips but the bigger one and it may have been mental was I could not get my arms around him to anchor around his waist.

Don't worry about getting your arms around him. All you need to do is lock yourself to him, so just reach as far around as possible, and then grab the gi, or a rashguard or waistband of shorts if you are doing no-gi and pull your elbows to your ribs. This action will accomplish the same thing as getting your arms all the way around.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    At the end of nogi tonight we did take down king of the mountain. A couple of the rounds I ended up with one of our big guys, +/- 350#. We usually ended up in a FUT and then a scramble. One round I did get double unders and moved to the back but once on the back I didn’t feel comfortable with anything I know. Worked a sit out and couldn’t get good anchors on him or feel like I could move him if I did. I didn’t want to shoot or go low level because I was quite a bit taller than him and I did not want that weight on me in a sprawl.

Anybody have any go tos against the larger crowd?
    You're correct, you do not want to end up battling out from under his sprawl regardless of size disparity. When coaching folks to solve the big mammal puzzle we focus on moving to the back. While drops are a great throw you must be brown or black belt level to even begin to think about those against bigger opponents, in my gym. (You'll still learn them but we highly discourage one from trying them against bigger opponents until a high skill and experience level). There is a reason the drop throw series were traditionally taught in the later years of the Judoka's life. Drop throws don't require a lot of athleticism however, they do require a mastery of timing, and leverage. If you don't have those, you will end up under the bigger mammal, except they are on your back.

Throws involving hip tosses or backstepping might also be problematic. Against bigger opponents I prefer leg attacks; Osoto Gari series, and Tai Otoshi series are good as they allow the smaller athlete several bail points that won't be available to them if they step through to hip toss, or back step.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

I finally got around to reading this thread and I’m also finding it interesting. Around Halloween I tore my ACL completely trying to hip throw a larger training partner in class. We were doing a by-the-numbers practice of countering a front bear hug into a hip throw. I’m 5’11” 150 lbs. I would estimate my partner as 6’4” 250 lbs. When I bear hugged him so he could practice his reps, there was at least a foot of space between my two hands behind his back. When it was my turn, I got one ugly looking rep completed. As soon as his weight left the ground on the second rep, my knee popped and I was immediately on the mat. Luckily he didn’t fall on top of me. I was trying to throw him over me left side and it was my left knee that blew out.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Sorry can't resist.

I think Samuel Colt developed the solution to your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Sorry can't resist.

I think Samuel Colt developed the solution to your problem.
    Keep on topic in tech sections.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I finally got around to reading this thread and I’m also finding it interesting. Around Halloween I tore my ACL completely trying to hip throw a larger training partner in class. We were doing a by-the-numbers practice of countering a front bear hug into a hip throw. I’m 5’11” 150 lbs. I would estimate my partner as 6’4” 250 lbs. When I bear hugged him so he could practice his reps, there was at least a foot of space between my two hands behind his back. When it was my turn, I got one ugly looking rep completed. As soon as his weight left the ground on the second rep, my knee popped and I was immediately on the mat. Luckily he didn’t fall on top of me. I was trying to throw him over me left side and it was my left knee that blew out.
    30 pound rule my friend. If they weigh 30 pounds or more than you, take a pass. A fight is one thing, multiple repetitions during a training session just open that window for Murphy wider and wider with each rep.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    30 pound rule my friend. If they weigh 30 pounds or more than you, take a pass. A fight is one thing, multiple repetitions during a training session just open that window for Murphy wider and wider with each rep.
    5 broken ribs, and a shoulder injury support that in my experience.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I found that in a FUT, a nice groin strike can break an opponent's balance and facilitate a take down. Used this on a bigger/stronger rugby player one night when he needed to be helped out of the bar I was working at. Not BJJ legal, and not very elegant, but surprisingly useful at the time.

ETA: Not suggesting that groin strikes (or any other "dirty" technique) are the key to martial victory. But they can sometimes be chucked in to help facilitate other techniques.
    Last edited by Mark D; 03-18-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Thanks for that tip. That’s a good rule of thumb I’ll keep in mind once I’m healed up. It sucks that I was only doing BJJ for about three months prior so the almost year I can’t train is probably going to severely diminish what minimal skills I had developed.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks for that tip. That’s a good rule of thumb I’ll keep in mind once I’m healed up. It sucks that I was only doing BJJ for about three months prior so the almost year I can’t train is probably going to severely diminish what minimal skills I had developed.
    Dan, I wish we worked closer to each other so we could train BJJ together after you heal. One of our guys just went to DT school, so hopefully we’ll get to roll more frequently here.

As for takedowns, when I was a patrol officer/patrol sergeant, I used a surprise takedown from behind quite a few times, which simply involved grabbing the suspects just above the waist, pinning the arms if possible, then arching my back to pick them up, swinging them around to a horizontal orientation, and setting them down on the ground to be handcuffed. It worked for various heights and sizes (I am—and was—about 5’11” 170-175).

It’s like a body slam, but controlled. I never got hurt doing this, and neither did the people on the receiving end. Deadlifting 415+ probably helped, as there is some pressure on the lower back.

Story time: I even did it to God once! I arrived at the scene of a domestic incident following a panicked 911 call. The suspect had threatened to kill the caller, and came out to meet me claiming to be God. When he turned around and walked toward a weapon, I implemented the above technique. Go(o)d stuff.

User Tag List