Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Take downs against big guys

Can't find a vid of the specific back trip finish I learned/coached, but this is in the ballpark:
    Start at ~6:05.

And Henry Cejudo knows a few things about being a) small and b) dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    This is the single best takedown from the back I know. Super high percentage, and if it fails, you do not end up in a bad position.

Not being super athletic, I use this all the time. Great takedown, I don't see it used very often. Well I guess everyone is pulling guard these days, lol.

There are probably a lot of ways this could go wrong but I personally do very well with Drop Seoi Nage:

I for one am very much enjoying this discussion.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Me too. I like gear talk as much as anyone but I wish we as a forum had more discussions such as this one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Same here! Between this, and Cecil's very excellent discussion on controlling strikers from guard, I feel like my unarmed fighting IQ is getting...uh...less dumb.

Make no mistake, I'm still dumb, but now I don't get everything wrong.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Me too. I like gear talk as much as anyone but I wish we as a forum had more discussions such as this one.

I am always down for that.

I actually try to not jump in on these too often or too soon, because sometimes I feel like all discussion ends afterwards. As if I am the all-knowing, unerring SME. Which could not be farther from the truth. I always talk about what I believe to be best practices, or authentic and truthful experiences, but that does not mean I am right 100% of the time. I hold out the idea that I still need to work and test, and discussion on a forum like this is a good way to make sure I am not talking out of my ass.

So please, everyone, don't be afraid to disagree with me. My wife does all the time
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Not being super athletic, I use this all the time. Great takedown, I don't see it used very often. Well I guess everyone is pulling guard these days, lol.

There are probably a lot of ways this could go wrong but I personally do very well with Drop Seoi Nage:

I think a drop Seoi is an excellent option. The main problem with it is that if it fails, you are righteously screwed. The biggest mistake people make in executing it is not dropping under the opponent's hips. Too often it just becomes a straight drop from where you are, but that gives your opponent space to counter. The above video is pretty good and she does show that, but I wish she would have hit the point a bit harder
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Drop seonagi is a great sporting option. Just be aware it’s rough on your knees even on a mat.

The order of the day with big guys is getting behind them, so arm drags are great for this situation. That also helps you use any speed and mobility advantages you have.

Second best option is attacking the legs, so foot sweeps and trips.

Good conversations. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    What typically happens here is that you did not get your hips under his and therefore did not feel like you could move him. This is a common problem when fighting shorter guys.

This is the single best takedown from the back I know. Super high percentage, and if it fails, you do not end up in a bad position.

Note that the ENTIRE time, the thrower's belt line is under the throwee's belt line. This is leverage. Trying to do it when your belt is above their's means you are needing much more strength and power to accomplish the task.

This was the exact takedown I was trying that I called a “sit out”. I think part of my problem was I was probably high with my hips but the bigger one and it may have been mental was I could not get my arms around him to anchor around his waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    Can't find a vid of the specific back trip finish I learned/coached, but this is in the ballpark:
    Start at ~6:05.

I really liked the leg switch to knee staple. I’ve always done the takedown with the near side leg and try to scramble up to a dominant position.

User Tag List