Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiu-jitsu Fundamentals vs strikes - a video

Jiu-jitsu Fundamentals vs strikes - a video

A lot of people like to waste bandwidth trying to get across the idea that jiujitsu is split in two areas - street vs sport - when the truth is that jiujitsu is jiujitsu. If you understand it, and grasp the framework and principles, you see it is the same. You can compare it to guitar playing. Someone can play rock guitar, or jazz guitar, or classical guitar, but the fundamentals of guitar playing are the same. It just depends on the music you want to play. The same can be said for BJJ.

Here is a video that takes an in-depth look at how Jiujitsu fundamentals are the same regardless of context. Whether we are are doing sport or street, we need to do the same essential things, and our training can reflect that, and we can train for it all with very few adjustments.

For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Definitely guilty of lying back while the other guy tries to get something going to pass my closed guard. Going to make a point to do the situp/break posture step tomorrow at class!

Site Supporter
    Same...but my redemption has been trying to chain a hip bump sweep to a kimura to a guillotine. If those three things fail, then maybe I'll see an opportunity to break their posture.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Definitely guilty of lying back while the other guy tries to get something going to pass my closed guard. Going to make a point to do the situp/break posture step tomorrow at class!
    All guard work has to be done aggressively. It is a point that took me years to understand and I see the same mistake repeated over and over so I hammer it whenever I teach. One of the reasons I love to play an overhook closed guard is that it forces me to aggressively go after the guy, which then makes the rest of the job easier.

Give yourself about two seconds to break their posture. If the two seconds pass and you have not done so, sit up. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Site Supporter
    Cecil, any tips or strategies for a guy looking to focus on overhook sweeps or attacks from closed guard?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Cecil, any tips or strategies for a guy looking to focus on overhook sweeps or attacks from closed guard?

You need to have 3-4 attacks and at least one has to be to the opposite side. For instance, my normal go-to is an immediate collar choke, then a straight armbar on the overhooked arm, and then either an omoplata or a stand up on that side if he bends the overhooked arm. If he prevents me from attacking that side, I go to a 1-on-2 armtie and then a version of a flower sweep to the non-overhook side. You could replace that with a triangle choke with the top leg coming out on the non-overhook side. And then if he defens those, then you go back to any of the original overhook side attacks.

The other thing that you have to remember is that if he has posture, it is pretty difficult to get the overhook, so you have to break him down fast and keep him broken down until you secure the overhook.

One more thing that a lot of people, including good black belts, often miss, is that you have to stay flat on your back until you have secured the over hook by grabbing the far collar. If you try to do it while you are on your side, you will most likely not be able to get a deep enough grip on that collar.

I have a number of videos on my YouTube channel that shows some overhook attacks.

Here is the first one I ALWAYS go for right away:

Note how I keep both shoulder blades oriented towards the mat until I have the far collar locked in.

This is the 1on2 sweep I love:

I do this one when they go full on defensive and they just try to keep me under them:

Excuse me gentlemen, I think I'm having an "Aha!" moment here.

As an almost exclusively visual learner the vid's combined with everyone's comments are greatly appreciated.

Site Supporter
    Damn Cecil, I just started playing with this with some of my training buddies and it's amazing. Locking in that overhook has really helped me break the posture of even some of the bigger guys.

I'm playing with it a bit. The triangle is tough for me to wrap up effectively, but the straight arm lock shows promise for me. Just need to figure out the distance/position of the joint I think...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Damn Cecil, I just started playing with this with some of my training buddies and it's amazing. Locking in that overhook has really helped me break the posture of even some of the bigger guys.

I'm playing with it a bit. The triangle is tough for me to wrap up effectively, but the straight arm lock shows promise for me. Just need to figure out the distance/position of the joint I think...

Cool.

I myself rarely get the triangle. It just does not work for my body particularly well, but I always include it because a lot of people can use it there exceptionally well. The straight armbar is entirely dependent on how tight you can get the overhook. If there is the slightest bit of room, they will be able to turn their arm just enough to stop the pressure going directly on the elbow. But if they turn it at all, they are super vulnerable to the omoplata or a stand up.

I have a bunch of ways to get the overhook initially when they are fighting it, but they generally require hands on instruction. If we ever cross paths, remind me to show them to you.

OMG. Awesome...

Used this today on many folks. I generally end up in closed guard for some reason (when I'm playing guard).

It was like "Sex Panther": 60% of the time, worked every time!

User Tag List