Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Bench “clamp” for mechanical accuracy testing?

Handgun Bench “clamp” for mechanical accuracy testing?

I’m not a good shooter. Maybe 8” groups at 25 yards. But I do like messing with different guns and different ammos. I looked in the past and only found one and it was crazy expensive so I stopped looking. But I’d like some kind of bench clamp I can take to the indoor gun range, clamp a semi auto and maybe a revolver in there, and activate the trigger while it’s clamped in so I can see the mechanical precision of the different guns and ammos I shoot.

What options exist? I am working in being a better shooter but it’s always going to be subjective and every shooter has a bad day so I’d like some kind of clamp thing if it’s not too expensive.

The classic accessory for this is the Ransom Rest.
    Note, it's not cheap.

Brownell's link here
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The classic accessory for this is the Ransom Rest.
    Note, it's not cheap.

Brownell's link here
    Ransom rests also require proper set up for repeatable results. They are not as simple as throw the gun in and clamp 'er down. they also require settling shots and gun specific inserts.

How about a sandbag?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I’m not a good shooter. Maybe 8” groups at 25 yards. But I do like messing with different guns and different ammos. I looked in the past and only found one and it was crazy expensive so I stopped looking. But I’d like some kind of bench clamp I can take to the indoor gun range, clamp a semi auto and maybe a revolver in there, and activate the trigger while it’s clamped in so I can see the mechanical precision of the different guns and ammos I shoot.

What options exist? I am working in being a better shooter but it’s always going to be subjective and every shooter has a bad day so I’d like some kind of clamp thing if it’s not too expensive.
    First of all, welcome to P-F, home of some of the best pistol-shooting instructors in the world. You’ve only been here a few weeks. I’m sure that we can help you shrink your group size. Tell us more.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    First of all, welcome to P-F, home of some of the best pistol-shooting instructors in the world. You’ve only been here a few weeks. I’m sure that we can help you shrink your group size. Tell us more.

Okie John
    I have had a bunch of little issues over the years and have taken a few classes and read through some older posts here and made some changes to my pistol shooting. I was shooting left with my glock 19 wich I tried more or less trigger finger but ultimately I think it was not enough grip pressure because I started using more grip pressure these last few weeks and now at 15 yards I can keep 4" groups all centered on an NRA B8 Target.

But when I go to 25 yards my shots are about an 8" group. I think my problem is sight picture. I have a .125" front site which just about fully covers the B8 bullseye at 25 yards from a width perspective so that I have to keep my hands really steady to make that sight picture perfect. I got the exact red model testors paint that Rangemaster Tom suggests and it does work real nice against the black B8 but holding it exactly in that spot is tough.

Especially now that I'm gripping harder, it adds a bit more wobble, in the past I'd have tigher groups at 25 yards maybe 6" but they'd be 10" left of center.

Anyway, I've heard Glocks might be like 4" guns at 25 yards from a mechnical perspective so I was thinking if I got some kind of clamp bench thing, I could actually tell what the mechnical accuracy was of my different guns, different barrels, and different ammos. So then I would know what the best possible thing I can do with the gun is if I did everything perfect.

Site Supporter
    I have had a bunch of little issues over the years and have taken a few classes and read through some older posts here and made some changes to my pistol shooting. I was shooting left with my glock 19 wich I tried more or less trigger finger but ultimately I think it was not enough grip pressure because I started using more grip pressure these last few weeks and now at 15 yards I can keep 4" groups all centered on an NRA B8 Target.

But when I go to 25 yards my shots are about an 8" group. I think my problem is sight picture. I have a .125" front site which just about fully covers the B8 bullseye at 25 yards from a width perspective so that I have to keep my hands really steady to make that sight picture perfect. I got the exact red model testors paint that Rangemaster Tom suggests and it does work real nice against the black B8 but holding it exactly in that spot is tough.

Especially now that I'm gripping harder, it adds a bit more wobble, in the past I'd have tigher groups at 25 yards maybe 6" but they'd be 10" left of center.

Anyway, I've heard Glocks might be like 4" guns at 25 yards from a mechnical perspective so I was thinking if I got some kind of clamp bench thing, I could actually tell what the mechnical accuracy was of my different guns, different barrels, and different ammos. So then I would know what the best possible thing I can do with the gun is if I did everything perfect.
    Glock generation and ammo are big factors. Others include lighting, your eyesight etc.

IME gen 2 & 3 glocks are usually 4" guns with good ammo. After market barrels can cut that in half. the Gen 4 and 5 guns are usually 2" guns in my experience.

if lighting and vision are issues fiber optic front sights and outdoor lighting are your friends. Another thing which may help is printing alternate colored B8s. Grey vs black provides better contrast for the sights. some favor the B8 with a white X ring.

Sand bags are a better bet. Okie John has posted in the past on the best methods for using sand bag rests with a pistol. I usually rest wrist / forearms on the bag and avoid grounding the gun or hands.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    I'm with John on this one. You can spend a whole lot of money on a range toy or you can take part of that money and spend it on ammo and hiring a local qualified instructor to help you get where you want to go.

Secret sauce alert: everyone thinks it's about the sight picture, for me, it's about manipulating the trigger while the sights are on target.

I've posted dozens of times about how to improve mechanical accuracy in Glock pistols. It's 0530 here and I'm on my way to work so I don't have time to resurrect a specific post, but a search for my user name will yield tons of good stuff. To improve your technique, review the thread on 25-yard accuracy, which has over 100 pages now, and read everything GJM has ever posted here, especially the videos and class reviews.

What ammo are you using?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Glocks aren't 4" at 25yards pistols regardless of gen and model. Some are significantly more precise and certain gens and models consistently more so than others. People tend to have an interface problem with them in regards to wrangling out accuracy. Mechanically they have always had a great lock up design and potential to be very precise depending on chamber spec per caliber.

Unless you hunting or playing accuracy games practical accuracy you get with them is going to lack for most without a true single action trigger. Rest on a bag, against a tree, atv, etc. to assist with trigger and grip and you get 4-5" at 50-60 yards all day with any good ammo.

Our guys here like JHC and GJM can do that all day offhand...

User Tag List