Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Substitute Standard White Whale

Having the 28-2 is proving to be a great magnum trainer for the 57. Took the .41 out for a few cylinders, today. My 50 yard braced shooting was notably improved, as was my closer range double-action on a timer. I'm getting innoculated to recoil and muzzle blast and have better focus. Turns out my two separate N-frames compliment each other excellently as a pair.

Unique also came back in stock so I have a few pounds on the way. One hundred new 41 Special cases and one thousand large pistol magnum primers are inbound with the powder. Threw in the Lee tumble lube SWC mold for my planned magnum load, as well.

I've got time off coming and 80 pounds of range scrap lead so this seems to be the month for load development. I've only got four calibers on the list plus a revision. Will start with 41 Special (will tweak the load for standard primers after this mess settles down), load a few hundred, then move on to 41 magnum. The bullets themselves will be cast, water quenched, powder coated, and sized all together in one marathon.

Pulled the Wolff factory strength power rib hammer spring out of my Model 10 snub and parked it in the 57. Very subtle and irrelevant change to the trigger but should break in a bit better than the stock spring. Ignition still positive. Returned the stock spring into the K-snub and it has much more positive firing pin strikes. The rib in the Wolff kept the strain screw from putting as much tension on the spring as with the stock unit. That combined with the bobbed hammer gave me lighter strikes than I was comfortable accepting in a carry gun. Problem solved with minimal loss of trigger smoothness. Still a very nice trigger in a lightly used gun so will get even better.

It's deer season so left the Joe Friday special at home and strapped on the 57 for a long walk. Stopped at an old party spot for dinner:

Don't know who laid the astroturf, drank all the Icehouse, and abandoned the tent poles. I'm just thankful for the chairs which overlook the junction of two logging trail sections, a brook crossing, and the head of a common path to another trail.

Eldest hiked to the range with me to zero the fixed 4x on his 243 Win. and wanted a go with the 57. Slender brat stacked 'em in the ten ring of a BT-5 at seven yards. Snub work is also improving in managing to hold the nine ring when trying my EDC bobbed model 10 snub.

I did a walkback on a paper plate stapled over the vitals of a life-ish size boradside deer silhouette the wife drew on a big cardboard sheet, starting at the 15 yard line and pushing in five yard incrememnts. I'm good DA out to 25yd before thumb-cocking is indicated. Stapled a fresh plate over for the kid to work on his rifle shooting and familiarize himself with the proper target zone.

Single-shot rifles and steel revolvers made for a good morning.

User Tag List