Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Substitute Standard White Whale

Anyone ever dump a 175 grain Silvertip out of a .41 into ballistic gel?

Dragged out the 57 while having a .22 revolver day with the kids and shot one into a row of gallon jugs covered with four layers of old canvas Dickies work pants. It definitely got me curious about a proper test and I'll also have to try a 180 grain Barnes all-copper bullet into refilled milk jugs. As it is, the 175 shredded the first two bottles, split the third wide open from top to bottom and settled in the fourth where it had poked a large and ragged hole.

With a 130 grain HST +P from a 4" S&W model 10 (same penetration after same fabric) and Winchester .380 SXZ from a SCCY CPX-3 (same fabric but went through five, bounced off sixth, and found a couple feet away) for comparison. Because those were the loads I dumped into my remaining jugs to avoid repacking all that weight.

Ordered the leather for my 57 and now to wait. Also ordered a 4" pinned and recessed Highway Patrolman, 200 rounds of factory 357 Mag. to bolster my low brass supply, and already have a holster for the littler N-frame.

Now to sit on the last of my fun money for the year if at all possible. But I'll see something at the gun shop and that'll be that.

Well, then. Wife shot my round butt, 4" heavy barreled model 10 the other day and tried to claim it. Was not happy to hear our daughter already had dibs. So I just ordered up a round butt 10-5 snub. We'll see which of us winds up with the 4" pencil barreled Malaysian 10-5, the 10-11, and the 10-5 snub.

And a guy at work picked up the Performance Center M&P 380 Shield EZ with TiN bling on Monday. His wife told him to lose it for something that could stop a bear. So the last of my fun money bought a silly comped 380 ACP to bail him out. Guess my retirement plan is to get into the pimping game given my new option for a Old Man Gun.

I didn't even make it into the shop to burn the last of my fun money. Seems my ski boots will have to last another season and no new rubber on the bicycle...

Back on topic of the model 57, the bollock dagger with red dyed scabbard I ordered to go with the rest of the leather and gun shipped. Here's hoping Customs goes gentle on it as I paid extra for sharpening.

The 41 Special reloading project is on indefinite hold as Unique is sold out. So I have more 210 grain factory magnums on the way as a consolation prize.

If you can find Universal, it is an almost 1:1 replacement for Unique. I’ve had good results in .44 mag midrange loads.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I'll keep that in mind now that a second N-frame is on the roster. Picked up a 4" Highway Patrolman and unmarked but neat holster:

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I'll keep that in mind now that a second N-frame is on the roster. Picked up a 4" Highway Patrolman and unmarked but neat holster:

Thats exactly what im looking for.

Nice find

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You and me both. I am still kicking myself for not snapping up one of the NYSP Model 28s when those were advertised through Shotgun News.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You and me both. I am still kicking myself for not snapping up one of the NYSP Model 28s when those were advertised through Shotgun News.
    Ive even got a elpasso saddlery threepersons for it

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Nice find
    You might want to hold out for one with a bit less endshake and a front sight that is square rather than holster rounded on the right edge. A previous owner also sloped the corners on the rear sight blade to be less snaggy but I appreciate that bit. And the very broken in trigger being butter. Rain or shine, I'm going shooting with this thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Anyone ever dump a 175 grain Silvertip out of a .41 into ballistic gel?

Dragged out the 57 while having a .22 revolver day with the kids and shot one into a row of gallon jugs covered with four layers of old canvas Dickies work pants. It definitely got me curious about a proper test and I'll also have to try a 180 grain Barnes all-copper bullet into refilled milk jugs. As it is, the 175 shredded the first two bottles, split the third wide open from top to bottom and settled in the fourth where it had poked a large and ragged hole.

With a 130 grain HST +P from a 4" S&W model 10 (same penetration after same fabric) and Winchester .380 SXZ from a SCCY CPX-3 (same fabric but went through five, bounced off sixth, and found a couple feet away) for comparison. Because those were the loads I dumped into my remaining jugs to avoid repacking all that weight.
    IME, 230 grain. 45 ACP Gold Dot from a short (cw45) barrel goes 5 gallon jugs. Most HP .38 loads go 3-4 from a 2".
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List