Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Substitute Standard White Whale

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I'll keep that in mind now that a second N-frame is on the roster. Picked up a 4" Highway Patrolman and unmarked but neat holster:

You're tugging at my late 80s range rental memories. I would love to have that gun.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Highway Patrolman is awesome:

One Werner 5^5 from low-ready in the 5" circle then a state police qualification out to 25 yards. All using full-power Magtech 158 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint factory magnums. Well, except the reload stage. For that, I drew the snubby model 10 as a New York reload of 148 grain wadcutters fired opposite handed.

I even lucked out when checking sight regulation at 25 yards between the 5^5 and qual.

As with the model 57, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. Initial thought for 357 Magnum load development was for a cast and powder coated 158 grain flat point over enough Unique or HS-6 to give about 1,200 to 1,250 feet per second from my 4" barrel. The Magtech 158 grain SJHP averages 1,240fps. While controlable, I'll now plan to see if something between 1,150 and 1,200 average fps will hit to point of aim. Take it easier on the gun while still a magnum charge. Save the perfectly good factory load for the field.

I ordered up a knife to go with the 57 rig and it arrived, yesterday:

A sharpened bollock dagger from Blighty. Sheath has an open leather thong to be tied however pne wants. The ends passed down behind the belt and tied in front of the sheath hold it securely in place. Doffing or retying to a dangle that swings out of the way is both quick and easy. Being something other than the usual Bowie or more common dirk seems to fit nicely with the 41 Remington Magnum chambering. Hoping the size and impressive spine thickness help provide some measure of support-side counterbalance to the hogleg.

I have several .41 Magnums in the collection.

Last year a three-inch M657 was my bowling pin revolver at The Pin Shoot
    in Central Lake, MI. I used a six-inch M57 at the old Second Chance Bowling
    Pin Shoot.

The .41 is my favorite centerfire revolver cartridge, beating out the .38 Special
    by a bit, or a bit and a half. Easy to load and very accurate with several weights
    of LSWC bullets. Bought a bunch of StarLine brass early on and most of
    it is still going strong.

After years of scooping up revolvers when I found them I ordered a Marlin 94 in
    .41 as well. Lots of fun to have around as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I ordered up a knife to go with the 57 rig and it arrived, yesterday:

A sharpened bollock dagger from Blighty. Sheath has an open leather thong to be tied however pne wants. The ends passed down behind the belt and tied in front of the sheath hold it securely in place. Doffing or retying to a dangle that swings out of the way is both quick and easy. Being something other than the usual Bowie or more common dirk seems to fit nicely with the 41 Remington Magnum chambering. Hoping the size and impressive spine thickness help provide some measure of support-side counterbalance to the hogleg.
    I believe that Bollock is Leo Todeschini's work. Nice.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

It is and my friend, who bought himself a Cold Steel 1917 cutlass as a university graduation celebration to ape the Finns, made fun of it. I think he's just jealous mine is easier to carry.

Leather arrived. Double-layer leather belt matches and is a width of 1.5" to compromise supporting the hogleg to ensure it fits the loops in my trousers:

Tha kful a buddy talked me into burning the extra money for cartridge loops on the Loaded Pancake versus the plain Sourdough Pancake. It's great and lets me have 18 rounds of 41 Rem. Mag. on my person, 12 of them flatpack.

Good idea on the loops. Nice looking rig

Be mindful of the dye. I had an oxblood sourdough ruin a pair of pants that i was wearing backpacking in the rain. Between the rain and sweat there's been a red blob where the holster was.

Fortunately they are primarily backpacking pants so they're really not ruined

A buddy picked up a set of checkered Walnut target stocks made by Custom Wood Inc. The company was registered in Connecticut January of 1973 and forfeited october of 1980. He didn't quite like the balance on his 6" Highway Patrolman so tossed them to me for my 4" Highway Patrolman. I carved a ton of wood to clear an HKS and make ejection of empties less troublesome. Also rounded the heel of the pommel to avoid chipping a sharp edge or buhhering my elbow against it. Finish was guesswork and I opted for mineral oil which was incorrect. Should have used poly to better match the existing finish and will try a coat after the oil soaks in proper and allows it.

I also partially bobbed the hammer. The flare where the spur widened to thumb piece was removed, leavin just enough of a sharp edge to check for high primers and leave some hammer mass. Gun looks a little meaner, now.

The Keith-style holster didn't work quite right with the partial bob and has gone to a historivmcally-minded friend who was in the market for a 4" N-frame OWB. Tough to part but went to a good home and my Bianchi 5BH works just fine even if it isn't as cool.

User Tag List