Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: P-F’s big-ass coronavirus betting pool thread

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What I'm telling you it's that the air in the cabin is not recirculated through the ventilation system. Air is pulled in from the outside to pressurize the cabin. Excess pressure is dumped overboard. No air is pulled from the cabin and recirculated back into the cabin. That vent blowing in your face is blowing air pulled from the outside.

It's like an heating/air conditioning unit that sucks air from the outside and blows it into the building. You'll still spread your germs to other passengers, but the germs won't be recirculated.
    According to this it's a mixture of filtered recirculated air and outside air. I'll go with that. It's not a huge deal to me anyway because I don't fly anymore.

The number of these ventilation zones varies depending on the aircraft, but each zone typically goes through this filtration process 15 to 30 times within the hour, with 50 percent of the air getting re-circulated and 50 percent of the air coming from outside, according to Gendreau.
    https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...-during-flight
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I am self-quarantining.

I was in off-site meetings this past week with my product management colleagues (about 20 of us) and as of yesterday, I developed a minor sore throat. Last night nasal congestion began, though I do not (yet) have a fever or any respiratory symptoms. I'll be composing an email to the director of product management (who orchestrated the meeting) this morning.

I work primarily from a home office and usually go to corporate a few times a week. I conduct most of my interaction via phone, email, text and WebEx anyway. I am heart-broken and depressed that I will not be going to corporate again for a while. ;-)
    A smart move, but you are unlikely to have it.

covid-19 symptoms typically do not involve congestion, sneezing, or sore throat.

WebMD has a break down on reported symptoms thus far (based on a WHO report). Apparently only 5% or so of the cases in China have had nasal congestion.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...oms-of-covid19

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A smart move, but you are unlikely to have it.
    Agreed. That said I can't remember the last time I had the flu, I may have some (limited) immunity to it. Considering that, I am proceeding with perhaps an overabundance of caution that I may not display the typical symptoms if I am indeed infected. There's little-to-no downside for me to take the extra precaution.

FWIW, I turn 66 next week.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Agreed. That said I can't remember the last time I had the flu, I may have some (limited) immunity to it. Considering that, I am proceeding with perhaps an overabundance of caution that I may not display the typical symptoms if I am indeed infected. There's little-to-no downside for me to take the extra precaution.

FWIW, I turn 66 next week.
    Full agreement.

Stay safe, get better.

If you aren’t going to make it, though, I can always use more flashlights, so remember me in your will.

Full agreement.

Stay safe, get better.

If you aren’t going to make it, though, I can always use more flashlights, so remember me in your will.
    I will indeed. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    According to this it's a mixture of filtered recirculated air and outside air. I'll go with that. It's not a huge deal to me anyway because I don't fly anymore.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...-during-flight
    Even an old wolf can learn new tricks! All the pressurized aircraft I've worked on didn't mix recirculated air with the incoming air.

Here's a link that has a better explanation of the cabin air system-
    https://aerosavvy.com/aircraft-pressurization/
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

May not be too late for @Grey

I'm developing a nice cough right now.

Alas, it's very phlegmy, combined with my annoying post-nasal drip, and the wicked sinus headache that is coming and going, along with yo-yo'ing barometric pressure tells me this is an allergy/sinus problem.

Sorry bro.

May not be too late for @Grey

I'm developing a nice cough right now.

Alas, it's very phlegmy, combined with my annoying post-nasal drip, and the wicked sinus headache that is coming and going, along with yo-yo'ing barometric pressure tells me this is an allergy/sinus problem.

Sorry bro.
    Can you just go lick some door handles for me? I need this knife man!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Man I think I might be the unexpected frontrunner here - dry cough, feels like a horse kicked my chest, got coughed all over a week ago by a guy who'd just returned from a big event in Vegas.

However

A) the extremely fancy thermometer I was recently gifted by a certain Spokanian guitarist shows no fever

B) I am absolutely out of the running for being gifted knives as I have benefited excessively from the stabulous largesse of a suspiciously similar unnamed party.

Besides which there would be no way to prove it since I wouldn't be able to get tested here. You pretty much have to be setting melting thermometers and have photos of your podium finish from the Lunar New Year Wuhan Kissing Olympics to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

My little bro is in quarantine after traveling to a convention with a business partner that tested positive. Right after they got back.
    Judas Priest. Things have been a bit nuts over the last week, trying to get my act together for transitioning to online coursework. I finally got to ask the fam if there were any new developments.

The dude from my bro’s office is in a coma. 42, no obvious co-morbidities. Has new infant twins, too.

This is looking more and more like a round of fucking Russian Roulette, with a 20-shot wheelgun.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List