Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Carry Optics max weight changed

Yes, that was an interesting discussion. I’m optimistic that enough serious competitors will keep Production alive, at least at Level 2 and 3 matches. I like the challenges it offers, and intend to keep playing in that Division.

I thought the most important point was about stage design catering to high cap divisions and PCC. I’m not a fan of hoser style stage design that doesn’t require much movement. Fortunately, we have some good matches around here that include more interesting shooting challenges.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    L10 and Revolver need to go
    Don't care what the cool kids think. Getting rid of those two will improve nothing and will achieve nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Don't care what the cool kids think. Getting rid of those two will improve nothing and will achieve nothing.
    ... except peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    ... except peace of mind.
    For the people who shoot neither? They should mind their own business.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I enjoy production since my focus is idpa ssp, though I have only limited interest re USPSA in anything but local matches. It’s great to shoot matches with people like you and other shooters I consider excellent in production at locals, for obvious reasons to anyone trying to improve.

Not planning on shooting limited ever except if someday idpa allows aiwb then I would do limited aiwb. That doesn’t seem likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, that was an interesting discussion. I’m optimistic that enough serious competitors will keep Production alive, at least at Level 2 and 3 matches. I like the challenges it offers, and intend to keep playing in that Division.

I thought the most important point was about stage design catering to high cap divisions and PCC. I’m not a fan of hoser style stage design that doesn’t require much movement. Fortunately, we have some good matches around here that include more interesting shooting challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Not planning on shooting limited ever except if someday idpa allows aiwb then I would do limited aiwb. That doesn’t seem likely.
    I primarily shoot Production, but some years back, I started shooting Limited minor in my indoor winter "outlaw" league with my Production gun. I did it on a lark, because I just wanted to see how it felt to load the mags all the way up. I still shoot Production all summer long, but I love the different thought process that comes with shooting Limited, so I do my whole winter indoor season as Limited. I even finally got around to buying a couple of +6/140mm mag extensions to throw on for the winter this year. Starting with 22 rounds in the gun is a whole different feeling, and it's a lot of fun. I think that sometimes people get too wound up in being completely serious about things and forget that this stuff is fun too. I would urge you to try Limited at least once just for the experience, even if only with your Production gun loaded up to full capacity. You may not enjoy it the way I have, but even if you don't, it's only one "throwaway" match.

USPSA matches, on the overall, provide a much more comprehensive test of practical shooting ability and skill than IDPA ever will.

The larger stages with higher number of targets, coupled with the freestyle nature of the sport, combine to force you to come up with a stage plan quickly then forces you to execute that plan while actively shooting.

That means that your shooting needs to get to the point where it becomes mostly a subconscious activity freeing up your brain to deal with executing the stage plan and dealing with unforeseen issues.

IMO, competing only in IDPA slows down that development because stages there are simpler, smaller, and are shot in a highly prescripted way.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m not aware of anyone in the thread who only shoots idpa. I certainly don’t. I shoot idpa, uspsa, and speed steel.

Around here, from what I have seen in the last year, idpa does a better job testing unusual shooting positions, shooting out of cars, prone, etc., SHO and WHO shooting; and the lack of extensive walkthroughs - you just get a few minutes right before your squad shoots - forces a quick stage plan. The emphasis on slide lock reload is arguably more realistic.

They are all games. They all provide some benefit. I play them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    For the people who shoot neither? They should mind their own business.
    Even @jetfire thinks revolver in USPSA is lame.

(Says the guy who actually has Revo & L10 classifiers on record...)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Even @jetfire thinks revolver in USPSA is lame.

(Says the guy who actually has Revo & L10 classifiers on record...)
    OK, so neither of you shoot either division any more.

Some people actually want to do so. Who is anyone to tell them to fuck off they're not welcome any more?

Getting rid of low participation divisions will absolutely NOT lower any overhead or costs at either USPSA HQ or any match regardless of level. The use of Practiscore has made that overhead a fixed cost regardless of whether there's 1 or 1000 divisions programmed in it. Same for match management.

Competitive dilution, the other argument, is also an illusion. The people who shoot revolvers do so because they have no interest in shooting something else. Getting rid of their division isn't really going to make that small number of hardcore wheelgun shooters say "cool, I'll shoot carry optics tomorrow". They'll likely either stop shooting USPSA or stop shooting handguns competitively is my guess.

User Tag List