Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Optics max weight changed

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Im a cz fanboi, and I find this rule change to be dumb.

45oz is a legit weight limit for the UPPER end of "carry" anything. They should just change the name to welfare open.

IMO Prod and CO should have a 45oz weight limit as well as minimum trigger pulls. If no minimum trigger pull they should allow SAO, since SAO strikers are already allowed.
    How many people are really carrying 45 ounce empty weight pistols?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I occasionally haul around a 5" all steel 1911. That's 42 ounces unloaded. I can't imagine hauling around an extra 17 ounces without a sling. Seriously, that's only 11 ounces shy of the weight of my MP5KN...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Personally I have spent a fair bit of time carrying a Witness Steel 10mm, a Sarsilmaz K2 .45, and an SP-01. All of those are around 41oz unloaded and the first two have extra heavy ammo. I would be lying if I said I have carried any in the past year or so, besides the 10mm on a couple occasions, since I have smaller/lighter options with "close enough" performance. The first two were my main handguns when I was new-ish to handguns and didnt know any better, but they were and are perfectly comfortable with a hybrid holster and decent quality leather belt. I am sure with a higher quality holster and a gun belt they would be even easier to carry around.

In my mind 45oz is the upper limit of what I would carry, whereas 59oz is just silly.

IMO Prod and CO should have a 45oz weight limit as well as minimum trigger pulls. If no minimum trigger pull they should allow SAO, since SAO strikers are already allowed.
    This is why I don't see a problem combining SS and Production

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I occasionally haul around a 5" all steel 1911. That's 42 ounces unloaded. I can't imagine hauling around an extra 17 ounces without a sling. Seriously, that's only 11 ounces shy of the weight of my MP5KN...
    Heaviest gun I’ve carried was a Springfield Professional operator. Anything but OWB was miserable.

There has to be a break over where a heavy gun is a detriment, right?

Few weeks back Stoeger was advocating for no additional weight to the G34 CO gun he has and has competed with. I am faster (transitions) with my CO 34 vs a stock weight 34. Took some time though.

I’m looking forward to the end of the year when I start playing around with a S2 for CO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im a cz fanboi, and I find this rule change to be dumb.

45oz is a legit weight limit for the UPPER end of "carry" anything. They should just change the name to welfare open.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    This is why I don't see a problem combining SS and Production
    I used to think combining SS and Production was not a good idea but I'm starting to change my tune

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    What tradeoffs do you see? Do you have some drill times to compare?
    I finished today's practice with the very hosey classifier CM 99-23 Front Sight. Two strings of 2-2-2 on three open metric targets at 7 yds. The targets are 7.5' apart so the transitions are wide. I also shot a run with my carry gun (CZ P-07 Prograde). All the times were very close (around 2.4s for string 1 and 2.0-2.2s for string 2) because that's how I was shooting it. Here are the results:

Shadow2: -3C 12.4 HF (96%)
    Shadow2: -4C, 12.06 HF (94%)
    P-07: -1C, 12.5 HF (97.4%)

This was a WTF for me, and I didn't expect it. But in hindsight it kind of makes sense. I felt like it was easier to stop the very light P-07 on target during a wide transition, and the turn-and-draw felt faster/more precise. The recoil impulses of the two guns feel very similar despite the weight difference because I'm very comfortable with them both. At only 7yds I'm shooting entirely target focus.

Of course my best run was the last one, and it could have just been that. However, it does seem clear that my light compact carry gun isn't much of a disadvantage at this type of shooting.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I finished today's practice with the very hosey classifier CM 99-23 Front Sight. Two strings of 2-2-2 on three open metric targets at 7 yds. The targets are 7.5' apart so the transitions are wide. I also shot a run with my carry gun (CZ P-07 Prograde). All the times were very close (around 2.4s for string 1 and 2.0-2.2s for string 2) because that's how I was shooting it. Here are the results:

This was a WTF for me, and I didn't expect it. But in hindsight it kind of makes sense. I felt like it was easier to stop the very light P-07 on target during a wide transition, and the turn-and-draw felt faster/more precise. The recoil impulses of the two guns feel very similar despite the weight difference because I'm very comfortable with them both. At only 7yds I'm shooting entirely target focus.

Of course my best run was the last one, and it could have just been that. However, it does seem clear that my light compact carry gun isn't much of a disadvantage at this type of shooting.
    Here is another test. Go and shoot, say, Baseball Standards classifier with both guns . I am pretty sure it's going to be opposite. The point is gear matters and it works differently for different shooting situations and matches.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Here is another test. Go and shoot, say, Baseball Standards classifier with both guns . I am pretty sure it's going to be opposite. The point is gear matters and it works differently for different shooting situations and matches.
    Yup. Agree. I did 6 in 6 Challenge today also, and wouldn’t want to try that with the P-07.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Very interesting. Thanks for running that.

User Tag List