Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Optics max weight changed

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How do you get to near 38 ounces?

Attachment 49422

My Open gun is nowhere near 59.

Attachment 49423
    Thumbs up for Ed Cameron!
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    +1 Not only should Prod be 15 rounds, so should CO.
    I am pretty happy with 140 mm mags. Some people compete against themselves, others against their own division, and then others compete for overall. For some it is not important, for others it is. CO with 140 mags has started to give Limited a decent amount of competition, much like what PCC [like the division or not] did to Open. Totally a good thing in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    My jaded (and likely unpopular) two cents…

I’ve long argued that Production division should be just that… a division, like SSP, that folks can be competitive in with an out of the box pistol and out of the box magazines. The new weight bump just moves things further down the custom pistol road and away from that concept. I have a sad.
    In theory, I would be happy to see a RealProduction division with 15 rounds capacity and service/carry trigger weight requirements. In practice, I don't know how rules could regulate away from purpose built thingies like Shadows, Tanfos, or steel framed Walthers and SIGs.

A separate thought: there has got to be a weight threshold after which extra weight is counterproductive to better performance. My CO Shadows had a lot of surgeries to make them compliant with old rules, they are at about 43.5 oz and I don't see much decline in any measurable parameters that should be affected by weight when comparing to me shooting a 47 oz stock Shadow 2.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    CZ Custom's A-01 line is making more sense now...

Attachment 49441

Shot a PO one of those in Serbia last year. I could definitely find space in my safe for one.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    At this point, why even have a weight limit?

Also, I'm chuckling at the "holster must be suitable for everyday use" phrasing now.
    I haven’t shot USPSA in a hot minute but I’m assuming AIWB is still prohibited in CO...

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

A separate thought: there has got to be a weight threshold after which extra weight is counterproductive to better performance. My CO Shadows had a lot of surgeries to make them compliant with old rules, they are at about 43.5 oz and I don't see much decline in any measurable parameters that should be affected by weight when comparing to me shooting a 47 oz stock Shadow 2.
    That seems like it would be the case, but I don't know where that point is. Apocryphally, My open gun keeps getting heavier and I keep liking that better (it's like...62? oz now). Now, I'm no Christian Sailer, but lots of the top guys have open guns with lots of steel parts (steel grips, big heavy magwells) and likely plenty of weight. And those are compensated.

CZ Custom's A-01 line is making more sense now...

Attachment 49441
    Can anyone enlighten me how this is different from limited 10 minor? Even double action is 5#.
    What's the damn point of having different divisions than???

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Weight definitely helps with the recoil control. It does come with a price of more difficult transitions. Transition is easier to train in my opinion. I think the threshold depends on individual body types and strength

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me how this is different from limited 10 minor? Even double action is 5#.
    What's the damn point of having different divisions than???
    It's a good question.

Production now is: minor, low cap, not a 1911.

You would know better than I if a 1911/2011 SA trigger is a significant advantage. Personally, I like the challenge of a SA/DA trigger, and the IPSC Production rules of 5lbs for first shot or 3lbs for every shot make sense to me. All the rule changes in USPSA are getting tiresome, but I would be in favor of a trigger weight rule for Production.

It's interesting how Production and CO are driving further exploration of the handgun design space. I definitely find that there is a tradeoff to heavier guns. I've been tempted to try shooting a match with a P-07 to compare. For sure, I have zero plans to add weight to my Production gun or buy an AO1.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

It's interesting how Production and CO are driving further exploration of the handgun design space. I definitely find that there is a tradeoff to heavier guns. I've been tempted to try shooting a match with a P-07 to compare. For sure, I have zero plans to add weight to my Production gun or buy an AO1.
    What tradeoffs do you see? Do you have some drill times to compare?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    What tradeoffs do you see? Do you have some drill times to compare?
    As @cheby said, some types of transitions are faster with a lighter gun. And I find it easier to get a lighter gun back on target after a reload as well, but we’re talking ~0.1s differences.

I don’t have direct comparisons because a subcompact polymer vs a Shadow2 isn’t just about weight. It would be an interesting study...

But, I just like the S2 in so many ways that I won’t be changing anytime soon.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List