Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 MOS vs. Glock 45 MOS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    17 because it is the icon and objectively better performing...unless you personally prefer the more brisk, snappy recoil characteristics of a 19, it's lower weight, or less material bulk iwb/more body and seat clearance while sitting & driving...

I'd only go shorter barrel & slide to get into a smaller grip model but it's all nitpickin' to be honest lol.

45 as a gen4 would have been more interesting to me since gen 3/4 19's didn't fit my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    John,

I think the G-45 tracks and shoots flatter. Sight radius, etc. aren't critically affected. I've had a long time association with the G-17 and in fact took one to that Metro Dade training you and I attended about an eon ago! I just think the G-45 has been an improvement on this great standard.
    My experience with a G19X and a 45 MOS matches Wayne’s. For reference I’ve carried a 17.4 by choice at work for 8 years.

I prefer a full sized grip but I can’t relate the “Brisk snappy recoil” comment re: a G19.

My Agency is currently issuing the P320 in an X carry configuration. We tested compact (G19 size), Carry and full size across a range of shooters. performance on the clock was best with the Carry (G45 size).

I EDC a 19X and shoot a G45, primarily AIWB in a G17 holster from JM. My primary G45 is over 20k rounds now. I'd have to check the book but I think that's still 20k without a stoppage that wasn't induced or expected. Quantifying differences on the timer and target I've found the G45 will have a slight edge on the 17 depending on the shooter. Sight radius difference doesn't materialize and is mitigated by sight choice. Running hard, it is more comparable to a 17 than a 19 but has a flat and fast feel all its own. Balance and function with a WML is good. G45s with RDSs run well but I don't have their data. I've seen some agency/unit transitions from G17/G19 to G45 or G19X as standard, with more planned or pending.

G17s are still GTG and a standard to judge others by, but I won't buy another one. There's no reason to.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

In Carry Optics with a dot, I see a pretty even split between the 17 and 34, but have yet to see a G45 with a serious competitor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think the differences are minute and will be shooter dependent.

With that said, I like the g45/19x as you can swap slides and gives me the option to have a cut down 19 grip.

You could have 3 pistols that all interchange and would cover pretty much all your needs except maybe a dedicated competition gun.

Vending Machine Operator
    My work gun is a Glock 19 Gen 5, my home gun is a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS (well, that one is being vetted still, at this time it's still my 17G4). A local agency just adopted Glock 45 Gen 5 MOS. So I've had time to mess around with all 3 variations in size.

I like the 17 better for full size belt carry or home defense/competition purposes. If I had to spend significant time carrying concealed or sitting in a car, I'd like the Glock 45 better. Both are pretty great.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Reviving a bit of an old thread:

What if you were carrying with a full size WML X300 in a duty holster? The holster likely is the same for a G45MOS and G17MOS since the light extends past the slide. Would that make any impact to which is preferred?

Site Supporter
    I ended up purchasing a G45 with RMR. I may still get a G17, probably MOS in case I do put a RDS on it. I definitely prefer the full size grip though, since I'm still trying to adjust to the RMR, I'm not sure which weapon I shoot better..

I thing the G45 is the perfect base gun for a Roland Special build. Fits G34 length holsters.
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  100.6 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Reviving a bit of an old thread:

What if you were carrying with a full size WML X300 in a duty holster? The holster likely is the same for a G45MOS and G17MOS since the light extends past the slide. Would that make any impact to which is preferred?
    Actually, some duty holsters, made for pistols with WMLs, including the WML-compatible version of the Safariland 6360, have a piece that engages the muzzle, so, a G45 and G17 would use different holster SKUs.

JSGlock34 just posted an obvious example of why one may opt for a G45.

Another factor favoring the G19x/G45 would be the expedited clearing of the holster, during the draw, if the one pistol also served as a concealed carry weapon, in a holster that rides comparatively higher on the body. It may seem to be a minor difference, but many folks have shoulder and/or wrist articulation issues, as they age, or due to injury, and if a G19/G19x/G45 is already at the edge of what is possible, that extra fraction of an inch might matter.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    John,

I think the G-45 tracks and shoots flatter. Sight radius, etc. aren't critically affected. I've had a long time association with the G-17 and in fact took one to that Metro Dade training you and I attended about an eon ago! I just think the G-45 has been an improvement on this great standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My experience with a G19X and a 45 MOS matches Wayne’s. For reference I’ve carried a 17.4 by choice at work for 8 years.

I prefer a full sized grip but I can’t relate the “Brisk snappy recoil” comment re: a G19.

My Agency is currently issuing the P320 in an X carry configuration. We tested compact (G19 size), Carry and full size across a range of shooters. performance on the clock was best with the Carry (G45 size).
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I EDC a 19X and shoot a G45, primarily AIWB in a G17 holster from JM. My primary G45 is over 20k rounds now. I'd have to check the book but I think that's still 20k without a stoppage that wasn't induced or expected. Quantifying differences on the timer and target I've found the G45 will have a slight edge on the 17 depending on the shooter. Sight radius difference doesn't materialize and is mitigated by sight choice. Running hard, it is more comparable to a 17 than a 19 but has a flat and fast feel all its own. Balance and function with a WML is good. G45s with RDSs run well but I don't have their data. I've seen some agency/unit transitions from G17/G19 to G45 or G19X as standard, with more planned or pending.

G17s are still GTG and a standard to judge others by, but I won't buy another one. There's no reason to.
    Listen to all of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I went with the 45 MOS to slide swap with a 19.5 non-MOS frame.

No other reasons.
    Personally this is one of the main reasons I went with a g45. That way I have a battery of gen 5s that slides/frames/parts can be swapped back and forth. I vastly prefer g45s full-sized grip but have the option of a g19.

User Tag List