Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 MOS vs. Glock 45 MOS

Site Supporter

Glock 17 MOS vs. Glock 45 MOS

I intended to order a Glock 17 MOS at my LGS this afternoon, but I had to examine the hot new sexiness of the Glock 45. While I initially thought the full size frame and shortened barrel was goofy, I confess that I actually liked the G-45. I don't think sight radius or barrel length will significantly matter. Any objective reasons to select one pistol or the other? Either weapon will be carried concealed, but I carried my issue 226 and 226R concealed for many years. Thanks and be safe.

I carried a 17 for years, and now carry a 45 but more comfortably in a AIWB tenicor velo holster.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I have a 19X and a 17 Gen 5 MOS. I previously also owned a 45.

The 17 is my favorite. It balances better with a full size weapon light like an X300U. It is also very fast tracking under recoil and is just an overall joy to shoot. The 19X/45 offers a similarly enjoyable experience but not measurably better to me than the 17. I guess I just like the 17 better. It feels more balanced in an AIWB position to me as well. The longer slide seems to balance the full sized grip better.

17 because it is the icon and objectively better performing...unless you personally prefer the more brisk, snappy recoil characteristics of a 19, it's lower weight, or less material bulk iwb/more body and seat clearance while sitting & driving...

I'd only go shorter barrel & slide to get into a smaller grip model but it's all nitpickin' to be honest lol.

45 as a gen4 would have been more interesting to me since gen 3/4 19's didn't fit my hands.

I went with the 45 MOS to slide swap with a 19.5 non-MOS frame.

No other reasons.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the input. I'm still undecided between two great choices.

My duty G45 (non MOS version) has been such a great pistol that my next private purchase will more than likely be a G45 MOS.

I have 2 G17.4s and I've noticed I don't shoot them nearly as much as I used to. I'm also getting excellent accuracy with the G45. My times on several drills are all a tenth or so quicker with the G45. I had no love for this pistol when I heard we were getting them as I had lots of time with my old G17.4 duty pistol. I'm now glad the department went to the 45s.

Regards.

I've shot both quite a bit and have a strong preference for the 17.

For me it does everything better than a 19, except conceal. Which the 19X/45 doesn't do as well as 17 because the shorter slide with the fullsize grip doesn't tuck/ride close like a 17 does.

I realized all the performance of a compact and all the bulk of a fullsize.

Some cops think it's good for sitting in a car.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm still undecided between two great choices.
    John,

I think the G-45 tracks and shoots flatter. Sight radius, etc. aren't critically affected. I've had a long time association with the G-17 and in fact took one to that Metro Dade training you and I attended about an eon ago! I just think the G-45 has been an improvement on this great standard.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Wayne, any experience with the G-17 Gen 5 MOS versus the G-45 MOS? Good grief, life was easier when my employer told me what to carry. Of course, I might have to make that recommendation for the new agency.

User Tag List