Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Is Shooting Blanks at a Pistol Range a Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh View Post
    Gun in question is a Ruger P89 loaded with 9mm and .32 bullets at the time it was seized.
    Not only is shooting blanks at thing at all, with the exception of theatricals and maybe a starter's pistol, but the highlighted is extremely odd and not indicative of anyone who knows anything about proper handgun operation.

In the interested of technical accuracy, modern firearms aren't loaded with bullets. They are loaded with cartridges. The cartridge consists of a case (a cylindrical container made of a soft metal like brass), a primer (the little button at the base of the cartridge, which ignites the powder charge when struck by the firearm's firing pin), the propellant (almost always smokeless gunpowder) and the projectile (aka the bullet).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I, I mean some guy I know, did that once. It was surprisingly normal, though the gun didn't cycle.
    My agency issues .40 cal (transitioning to 9) but has issued and /or allowed 9mm for years.

We used to do all Duty ammo with .40 being all brass and 9mm being all nickel cases. Still had mix ups.

Nor that we run purple Winchester training Ammo in both calibers it has become a more frequent occurrence.

Banned
    please disregard
    Last edited by Cypher; 03-02-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    If this has already been suggested I apologize (wouldn't want to offend the cognoscenti) but is it possible the person is using a starter pistol?
    The person was arrested and is being represented by the OP. The pistol was an actual firearm,a Ruger P89.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The person was arrested and is being represented by the OP. The pistol was an actual firearm,a Ruger P89.
    Thank you I noticed that right after I posted.

In NY City and NY State, one must have a permit to even possess a handgun, unless you are military acting as part of your job or an LEO.

Virtually every shooting range in the state will demand to see your permit before letting you shoot.

If this person is going to shooting ranges, they will ask to see his permit and not let him shoot unless he has a permit.

To complicate the matter, blanks are not commonly available.

If the subject is of Russian ethnicity, or has run with Russian crews or their associates in the past, this may also be an inherited lie. In Moscow & St Pete in particular, modified blank firing weapons are common and assertion that they were only used as such by the holder may be an attempt to set up an unwitting possession defense. Perhaps here incompletely pursued, or insufficiently understood based on whatever chain of oral tradition as the story was passed along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That's why I wondered if you had heard your guy correctly. However, those snap caps/dummies/etc.. are for use in the home not the range. To go to the range and just use snap caps is truly weird (and might even get noticed by the range officers -something to follow up on as well, if he ever went to any range).
    I do dryfire at the range on occasion, though I can’t be bothered to use snap caps. Maybe some people do?

— Michael

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    IME mixed ammo / wrong caliber ammo in a gun is a red flag associated with criminal activity.
    Reminded me of this pic from Instagram. Name:  Screenshot_20200302-215021~2.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  34.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That's why I wondered if you had heard your guy correctly. However, those snap caps/dummies/etc.. are for use in the home not the range. To go to the range and just use snap caps is truly weird (and might even get noticed by the range officers -something to follow up on as well, if he ever went to any range).
    Quote Originally Posted by elsquid View Post
    I do dryfire at the range on occasion, though I can’t be bothered to use snap caps. Maybe some people do?

— Michael
    Dummy rounds are used at the range for ball and dummy drills to attenuate recoil anticipation issues, malfunction clearance drills etc.

They’re not just for dry fire.

But Dummy rounds and blanks are two completely different things.

User Tag List