Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shooting Blanks at a Pistol Range a Thing?

My first thought would be him trying to explain away GSR or a dirty barrel. Also, the 9mm Ruger was loaded with both 9mm and .32 ammunition? No bueno.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My first thought would be him trying to explain away GSR or a dirty barrel. Also, the 9mm Ruger was loaded with both 9mm and .32 ammunition? No bueno.
    GSR= gun shot residue?
    Last edited by Robh; 03-02-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: ten more seconds of thought

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Blanks are generally not cheaper. Often quite a bit more expensive then bulk ball ammo.

It's not a thing to do.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh View Post
    I am reluctant to give all the details. But suffice to say, it was a remark that couldn't be part of any defense, it was just a small part of a larger conversation about someone's use of a gun over the years. When someone is nervous and being questioned, they say weird things, that really doesn't help them, and hurts them as far as being believable about the more critical issues. And I could just have the one in a million oddball that shoots blanks at a range. Gun in question is a Ruger P89 loaded with 9mm and .32 bullets at the time it was seized.

Again, thanks for the insight.
    If the P89 magazine was loaded with 9mm--AND .32 ACP--then you are already so far outside of the realm of statistical probability that firing blanks at the range is no longer even hard to believe. That's just......I don't even know. It suggests incompetence on a scale that passes dangerous, or a level of eccentricity on par with Willy Wonka.

Either way, I wish you good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    If the P89 magazine was loaded with 9mm--AND .32 ACP--then you are already so far outside of the realm of statistical probability that firing blanks at the range is no longer even hard to believe. That's just......I don't even know. It suggests incompetence on a scale that passes dangerous, or a level of eccentricity on par with Willy Wonka.

Either way, I wish you good luck.
    Clearly testing the waters for a non compos mentis / insanity plea.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

We seized a pistol once that had 9mm Parabellum, .380 and 9mm Makarov ammo all in the same magazine.

I'm sure about that part. I want to say the pistol in question was actually a .40, but I might be wrong about that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I'll throw in that shooting blanks at a range is really, really odd, and something I've never heard of before.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Not that you need to hear it again, but shooting blanks on a firing line makes absolutely no sense at all, UNLESS he was doing to so in order to cause malfunctions in his pistol. But, as other have pointed out, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use snap caps to accomplish the same thing.

Of course, someone loading .32acp rounds into a 9mm is unlikely to be switched on enough to practice things like ball & dummy drills.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have never heard of this practice in my life.

User Tag List