Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shooting Blanks at a Pistol Range a Thing?

Is Shooting Blanks at a Pistol Range a Thing?

First post for me. I am an attorney that from time to time represents people arrested with a firearm in New York City. In one of my cases, an individual claimed that he will go to pistol ranges, not here in NYC, to shoot blanks. Not being a gun owner or someone very familiar with gun ownership, I still thought that shooting blanks at a range was an odd thing to do. I would appreciate anyone sharing their knowledge about what happens at pistol ranges and if shooting blanks is common, uncommon, rare or unheard of behavior. If it does happen, if anyone can explain the purpose.

Some ideas I have had: I imagine that blanks are less expensive than bullets. I also wonder if it might be worth shooting blanks just to exercise the hand in firing a pistol and a pistol range maybe the safest place to do it. I also have heard that it is bad for the firearm to be triggered without a round in the chamber. I also speculate that shooting blanks would not wear out the barrel as much as a projectile.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rob H.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh View Post
    First post for me. I am an attorney that from time to time represents people arrested with a firearm in New York City. In one of my cases, an individual claimed that he will go to pistol ranges, not here in NYC, to shoot blanks. Not being a gun owner or someone very familiar with gun ownership, I still thought that shooting blanks at a range was an odd thing to do. I would appreciate anyone sharing their knowledge about what happens at pistol ranges and if shooting blanks is common, uncommon, rare or unheard of behavior. If it does happen, if anyone can explain the purpose.

Some ideas I have had: I imagine that blanks are less expensive than bullets. I also wonder if it might be worth shooting blanks just to exercise the hand in firing a pistol and a pistol range maybe the safest place to do it. I also have heard that it is bad for the firearm to be triggered without a round in the chamber. I also speculate that shooting blanks would not wear out the barrel as much as a projectile.

Rob H.
    It's not a thing for anyone to do. I've never heard of it outside of Hollywood. If the firearm is centerfire (not rimfire like say .22 LR), dry firing (pulling the trigger sans ammunition) will not hurt it. Typically, it would take a lot of ammo (tens of thousands of rounds worth) to wear out a barrel. So in other words, I have a hard time believing his story. It's certainly possible, but never heard of it before.
    #RESIST

I would assume this man, along with 80% of the gun owning population has no idea what he is doing.

A New York attorney, who isn't a gun owner, is asking for situational advice in his/her first post.

Troll somewhere else shylock.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A New York attorney, who isn't a gun owner, is asking for situational advice in his/her first post.

Let's see if he reports back, I don't think he's trolling.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

My sympathies to you and your friends. It must be a daily struggle for you to be so easily provoked. Not asking for situational advice. Just inquiring if such a thing exists. I do my best to protect gun owners in a very gun unfriendly jurisdiction. I am a public defender, so I don't charge a fee from my clients. And the name calling, well, that reflects poorly on you more than anything. (Somebody should let you know. Otherwise, how are you going to grow up?)

My sympathies to you and your friends. It must be a daily struggle for you to be so easily provoked. Not asking for situational advice. Just inquiring if such a thing exists. I do my best to protect gun owners in a very gun unfriendly jurisdiction. I am a public defender, so I don't charge a fee from my clients. And the name calling, well, that reflects poorly on you more than anything. (Somebody should let you know. Otherwise, how are you going to grow up?)
    Hey, you're legit and I'm glad you are here. Let's just carry on with the topic, we will help you out.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Hey, you're legit and I'm glad you are here. Let's just carry on with the topic, we will help you out.
    To the Dude Who Abides: thank you for your insight. Happy to hear from anyone.

Can't say that I've come across this practice at the range...on or off the job in NYC, Miami, nor currently retired in NC.

I can imagine a use for such in training by an instructor to simulate an environment or conditions, but have never seen anyone actually doing this as a shooter on the firing line.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Rob H.
    This is very strange sounding. Was that individual just shooting the breeze, or making a statement that would help in a defense or prosecution?

I've never heard of an individual going to the range to shoot blanks, much less going to a different jurisdiction to only shoot blanks.

As to the possibilities you present:
    I don't think blanks are less expensive than actual ammo, but then again it never occurred to me to buy blanks. Moreover, and I could stand to be corrected, don't blanks require a specific blanks barrel and a different set of springs just to be able have the gun run for more than one round?
    The point of shooting actual ammo is to exercise the hand as that is a very important part of shooting.
    Some pistols do less well when dry fired and no dummy in the chamber, specifically the little 22lr, but dummy rounds are cheap to buy.
    Unless you're talking about a real cheap gun (not in terms of price but quality), it takes tens of thousands of rounds to use up a pistol barrel.

While I don't discount that someone could go to the range to only shoot blanks, that is just very weird to my ears. You go to the range to actually shoot, and if you don't want to shoot the gun (for various reasons), there are many shooting-like practices that one can do at home in perfect safety.

Are you sure you heard this guy correctly?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List