Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer help please.

Computer help please.

I know we have a few IT computer tech gurus on here and I'd like a bit of advice. I'm changing career paths and will be turning my company laptop in to my current company in a few days and I'd like to know how to "wipe" the hard drive for lack of a better term. Basically remove any and all information except for the OS due to using the computer for banking and some personal finance stuff. Should I use something like DBAN or is there a better alternative?

I'm just an EE, not a CS or IT guy, but I've messed with computers most of my teenage and adult life. My question is, do you have the ability to reinstall Windows on the machine? If not, I think it'll be rather difficult to really clear out the bits and pieces. If you do have the ability to reinstall, the easiest way is a simple full reformat of the hard drive. However, you seemed to have found DBAN, and its generally seen as a fairly good turnkey solution that offers more security than simple reformating, and I'd say it'll suffice if you're not trying to outwit the NSA or GRU and have the ability to reinstall Windows.

No discs to reinstall Windows and no issues with the Feds either.

I don't know of any software that will securely delete everything except your OS. That said, whenever I get a laptop back into the shop, I hit it with DBAN and reinstall the operating system on general principles. I would be delighted if my clients would give me back freshly wiped laptops.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Should I use something like DBAN or is there a better alternative?
    This tool appears to simply completely format the hard drives in a system. This will eliminate your windows installation. Effective for removing personal information, but not effective for returning a functioning computer.

The trouble with windows is that stuff gets stored all over the place. Software might just stick data in the registry, or bury it somewhere deep in the file system, or god knows what else.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Would using DBAN and having our IT guys reinstall the OS, when they receive it, be a viable solution?

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Would using DBAN and having our IT guys reinstall the OS, when they receive it, be a viable solution?
    It wouldn't be hard. I'd think it's just a question if the IT guys are allowed to do it under company policy or whatever. I can't imagine it'd really be a big deal though; I'm sure they have to do that kind of stuff all the time given the amount of people that are idiots and infect their work computers with viruses and malware and the like.

Delete all your personal data then do a google search. There are free wares that will do a secure wipe of free space only.

There are free program such as "Eraser" and "Recova" that will allow you to see what is on your drive, and let you wipe the free space. Eraser gives you the option to do a simple "quick" wipe, or a full 35 passes which takes forever if you have a lot of data you want to be rid of.

The recovery programs, should allow you to find and recover bits of anything "deleted", or that might have been missed by the Eraser. Most often that is because you failed to include it in the erase, not because of the program.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List