Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainer use for carry?

Trainer use for carry?

Ok, so I think I'm setting myself up for a roast, but I didn't dream this up myself...and I'm interested in it.

In John Lovell's interview with Craig Douglas the subject of using the push dagger trainer as a weapon came up. In the push dagger thread here on PF ~30% of the discussion is about whether the push dagger is legal in any particular area. While I carry a TDI on occasion, the legal problem always concerns me.

So, is a push dagger trainer or TDI trainer a realistic alternative as a close range impact weapon vs an edged weapon? Does it skirt the legal problems associated with a sharpened blade? Are there impact weapon (brass knuckles, saps) legal considerations instead?

happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Site Supporter
    I'm thinking a hook to the ribs with a " push trainer" would give someone a hell of an attitude adjustment. Not saying it would be my first choice, but I can see it being effective as an impact device in close.

When is a knife not a knife?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    When is a knife not a knife?
    When it doesn't have a sharpened edge or a point?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I know I saw some folks discussing this topic recently but can't find the thread. @blues was a participant, maybe he can help.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'm thinking a hook to the ribs with a " push trainer" would give someone a hell of an attitude adjustment.
    Don't this kind of thing already exist?Name:  1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  26.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Don't this kind of thing already exist?Name:  1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  26.4 KB
    If that's how you wanna roll. If I was traveling to a state where I couldn't carry a live blade, I'd rather have the metal trainer, in the same sheath, with the same grip than that piece of plastic. No one is saying it's ideal, but I think it's a workable solution in a limited use capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know I saw some folks discussing this topic recently but can't find the thread. @blues was a participant, maybe he can help.
    I don't recall participating in any discussion of carrying a trainer in lieu of the push dagger or any other blade.

The only recent discussion that I recall being involved in had to do with whether state law would permit or proscribe carry of the push dagger (and sap) in my home state.

Each person will have to review the particular regulations for their own state of residence, as well as any exemptions which may cover them based upon active or former affiliations.

For example, in my state both a sap and push dagger would be illegal to carry but for the fact that I qualify under exemptions listed in the statutes.

I believe the discussion was in the last few pages of this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hooting/page15
    Last edited by blues; 03-01-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't recall participating in any discussion of carrying a trainer in lieu of the push dagger or any other blade.

The only recent discussion that I recall being involved in had to do with whether state law would permit or proscribe carry of the push dagger (and sap) in my home state.

Each person will have to review the particular regulations for their own state of residence, as well as any exemptions which may cover them based upon active or former affiliations.

For example, in my state both a sap and push dagger would be illegal to carry but for the fact that I qualify under exemptions listed in the statutes.

I believe the discussion was in the last few pages of this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hooting/page15
    The doo-dad that HopetonBrown posted above is the same concept. Weren't you talking about it in another thread and how it wasn't an obvious weapon? If not, sorry, memory is the second thing to go.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The doo-dad that HopetonBrown posted above is the same concept. Weren't you talking about it in another thread and how it wasn't an obvious weapon? If not, sorry, memory is the second thing to go.
    Okay, if I recall correctly that was in the thread about punching with a roll of quarters in one's hand. And I believe my remark about the device you are referring to is that it looked like an IUD, and also that I had questions about its utility in a fight...both in terms of staging and not injuring oneself.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tually-a-thing
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List