Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advantage Arms Vs Glock 44 Vs Other Vs Nothing

Advantage Arms Vs Glock 44 Vs Other Vs Nothing

I have a dedicated glock 19 gen 3 lower with an advantage arms upper that I had NP3 a while back. I went a bit nuts investing in this platform with a second threaded barrel for suppressed use, matching sights to my carry gun, a full spare parts kit from AA, and maybe 20 spare mags of different lengths including the longest ones they make (maybe 20 rounds or so I forget).

I also have a complete glock 17 gen 3 lower that I was considering doing the same with and sharing from the same mag pool. But I barely shoot the g19 AA 22 in the last few years because I had limited range time and wanted to focus on actual 9mm recoil.

Well, things have changed and now I have waaayyyy more range time available but also the G44 exists, and also I’m realizing my biggest hurdle to overcome with my pistol skill is grip strength and flinching on recoil. I saw a nice post on here recently where people argued for/against G44 for range practice and TLG had an article about .22 training and which select drills it’s good for.

So here I am wondering what I should do.

Keep what I have, buy nothing more, use TLGs lists to create a training regime:
    //
    marksmanship
    strong- and weak-hand only shooting
    draw stroke
    reloads
    transitions
    judgmental shooting
    shooting on the move… With SOM, the line between good .22 training and bad .22 training is definitely easy to cross. But like transition drills, SOM training can benefit from a .22 in terms of learning how to move your feet and position your body for a stable shooting platform
    //

Keep what I have and add to it with a g17 AA upper. So that if my g19 kit fails eventually, my 20 spare mags aren’t useless. At least some of them aren’t since over half are extended mags beyond the g19.

Sell what I have and buy a g44. I’ll clear cash here since I’d be selling 20 mags too.

Sell what I have or keep it, either way, and buy an actual .22 gun like a ruger or an old s&w meant to shoot 22 suppressed because right now I have a 22 suppressor and no great host gun for it. I find my AA g19 to be less than perfectly reliable, could be my ammo, But I suspect it’s because they engineered the upper around fitting a glock receiver rather than optimizing for reliability.

My goals here are to:

Improve my training regime

Reduce unused stuff I’m hoarding. I don’t use all but 2 of the 20 mags I have. I lived through the AWB and new town scare so when AA released extended mags I went overboard.

Clear up cash that might be tied up in crap I don’t need

Have some 22lr system to run with my suppressor that doesn’t suck so if I needed to use a suppressed 22lr in real life for something, I can do it reliably. This is definitely a bit LARPy since I’m a civilian but I already have the suppressor and can’t sell it really so mine as well optimize around it. Though I do have a m&p22 and ruger 10/22with threaded barrels so maybe that’s host enough.

Also worried that g44 might put advantage arms out of business eventually making spare parts hard to come by.

Hammertime
    Run your AA conversion for a while. If it runs reliably enough for you I would not swap anything.

If you can’t get it to run reliably sell off and get a G44.

Having personally had an AA kit, I have nothing bad to say about them. Mine functioned well with the 550 round federal Wal-Mart ammo. .22 ammo will always be finicky no matter how expensive the .22 gun or kit is.

That said, I don’t find .22 training to be that beneficial for an experienced shooter unless you just can’t afford to shoot 9mm, which I’m seeing for $.16-17 these days in bulk, or half that if you reload. The lack of recoil makes any multi shot drill almost useless for training value. That said, I would work on things like transitions between multiple targets where you fire 1 round per target, single shot draw drills, and single shot per target movement/transition drills.

My primary use for a .22 conversion is to train new shooters on basic fundamentals before letting them experience real recoil.

I love my AA kit. Keep on keepin' on with it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have two of the AA kits that live on dedicated frames, one for a G17.3 and the other for a G17.4. I find them more than sufficient for my practice needs and they accept regular G17 sights. That being said, I am going to get a G44 because ... I do not know why but because.

My practice today was with the G17.3 and kit, and I shot Dot Torture, the drill that continually humbles me. One of the pluses (at least turning lemons in lemonade) of these kits is that some ammo does better than others in terms of function. By adding rounds of the less-than-100% stuff into the mix, some failure drill practice is on the table. My kits often suffer stoppages with Federal 36-grain HP so I add rounds of that into the mix.

I had a AA 19.4 kit that I passed on as a gift, and after what I've seen about the G44, I'm planning on getting another AA opposed to any other Glock .22 options.

If I was only going to have one .22 pistol, the AA would not make the cut, but I like shooting .22 and I like that it keeps the grips, trigger, and sights of my Glocks.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Since almost all of my practice is with a dot, I use my G44 to refam iron sights. Often it happens at the end of a practice session, when the less recoil and concussion of the 44 is appreciated. In years past, when I was building one hand skills, I found a .22 to be extremely valuable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I could only ever get my AA to run with Mini Mags, and if I keep it clean it does the job well enough to where I haven't considered selling it. At some point I would like to try the extractor mod I've read about here and there, since when I do get malfs, failure-to-extract is the most common.

What’s the extractor mod? It sounds interesting.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    What’s the extractor mod? It sounds interesting.
    Here is the best link to it I have seen; the whole thread is great. Posts six and seven deal with the extractor modification. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/posts/2458635/

You may wish to buy a spare extractor kit on which to try the modification. http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/mer...lkExtractorKit

User Tag List