Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straw buyer sentenced today to 18 months in prison for straw purchasing 35 firearms

Straw buyer sentenced today to 18 months in prison for straw purchasing 35 firearms

According to court documents, Juan Zimmerman, 26, used a fraudulently obtained Virginia identification card to purchase 35 firearms from various Federal Firearms Licensees throughout the Eastern District of Virginia between June and August 2018. After purchasing the firearms, Zimmerman transferred the firearms to others, including his cousin, who trafficked the firearms across state lines to Maryland and Washington, D.C. to other individuals. Four of the firearms Zimmerman illegally purchased have been recovered by law enforcement after being used in a number of violent crimes, including at least one homicide and one domestic violence shooting.
    https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/man-sent...ng-35-firearms

Site Supporter
    A bit of a click-baity title. I doubt I'm the only one who thought this was about our other favorite Zimmerman.

As for the actual crime, this is not going to help VA's current 2nd Amendment battles even though the existing laws worked and the guy is being punished for his crimes. Also worth noting, that he used ID means he bought them through dealers and followed the existing process that would NOT be changed via the existing laws except possibly the 1-handgun-a-month law (if he bought more than one a month).

Again, not good for us.

Chris

yea... don't do click bait titles. we're (a better community) than that.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    A bit of a click-baity title. I doubt I'm the only one who thought this was about our other favorite Zimmerman.

As for the actual crime, this is not going to help VA's current 2nd Amendment battles even though the existing laws worked and the guy is being punished for his crimes. Also worth noting, that he used ID means he bought them through dealers and followed the existing process that would NOT be changed via the existing laws except possibly the 1-handgun-a-month law (if he bought more than one a month).

Again, not good for us.

Chris
    Depending on how the fraudulently obtained ID was manufactured, 1GAM wouldn't stop him or others either, as you just make more IDs.
    Of course I still don't understand why criminals are going through the hassle of buying guns, considering the other alternatives.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

When posting Zimmerman updates, be sure you’ve got the right juan...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Depending on how the fraudulently obtained ID was manufactured, 1GAM wouldn't stop him or others either, as you just make more IDs.
    Of course I still don't understand why criminals are going through the hassle of buying guns, considering the other alternatives.
    I agree completely. However, TPTB won't agree. They'll use it as proof we need "moar lawz!".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    yea... don't do click bait titles. we're (a better community) than that.
    Agreed, I fixed the title.
    #RESIST

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Two weeks in the pen for each gun illegally purchased? Sounds kind of light.

Still more time than the ATF guys did for Operation Fast & Furious.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

18 months? That's it, huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Two weeks in the pen for each gun illegally purchased? Sounds kind of light.

Still more time than the ATF guys did for Operation Fast & Furious.
    AARGH. Fixed it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List