Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herrett’s Grips Going Out of Business ?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    I chose the rubbed oil finish, no checkering in part if I wanted to do some adjusting. A few grits of sand paper and a trip to get some Tung oil, I have the left panel thinned out a bit. Effectively I removed nearly all 1/8” thumb rest contour. Viewed from behind, the panels are not symmetrical, being thicker on the right panel, but still is shootable from either hand. Giving the Tung oil some time to dry before I shoot it, but looks pretty close to Herretts’ finish.
    I realized when making similar adjustments to the NFG Hogue on my GP that rather than taking it all off the left side, shaving down the right side still bought more space for my thumb on the left side, because it shifted the whole gun. So I was able to end up with the two sides reasonably close to the same thickness.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    More photos and details on your model 12 please. Looks great!

Angry Model 12 Project

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    More photos and details on your model 12 please. Looks great!
    Well, it was an attempt to make a dream gun of sorts. Karl Sokol did the work, I just contributed cash and ideas.

I have enjoyed carrying a Model 12 for years - a bit bigger than the J Frame and felt more shootable. I decided a second copy was a good idea so I prowled GunBroker until I found an decent price. The aluminum frame on the new purchase was rough, but not much evidence of shooting. Shot fine, locked up fine, but the trigger wasn’t the best.

Karl Sokol took on the project to make it a real shooter - trigger job, semi hammer bob, refinishing and new XS front sight.
    • Great trigger. Smooth, double action feels around 8lbs, very crisp single action.
    • It was a beat up frame and Karl’s ArmorTuff worked out fine - normally I am not a big fan of painted finishes. Still no turn line after 120 rounds, so it is tough. Also did a great job of smoothing out assorted dings and gouges in the 60+ year old aluminum.
    • Semi bob hammer was dumb... Should be DAO. The short bob still jabs me. These old Model 12s had a special hammer IIRC.
    • XS front sight is nicely regulated and huge improvement for my aging eyes. XS sights are like bi-focals, there comes a time that utility overrides pride.

Legitimately this will remain a carry often, shoot rarely gun. By no measure of cost effectiveness does it make sense, but I could swing it. Probably buying three of the Taurus 856s and hoping for one good one is smarter use of money, but like Herretts stocks, classics have a place. Karl’s work is part of classic element too.

Pictured with bedded Hideout grips I was using before the Herretts arrived. Way more enjoyable to shoot with the custom fit stocks.

Name:  B111EDF4-69B3-4B45-887D-0FD4FAD159BA.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  49.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Props to Karl for his craftsmanship and you for your ideas and impeccable taste!

-Rainman

User Tag List