Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herrett’s Grips Going Out of Business ?

Don't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. It's like what my painter friend Donald said to me, "Stick a fork in their ass and turn them over, they're done."
    http://www.songlyrics.com/lou-reed/last-great-american-whale-lyrics/

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Spoke with a very nice lady at Herrett's yesterday. Mr. Herrett has/is retiring, but they found a new owner to continue forward with the business. New location, new business entity (I gather), but the same employees doing the same work with the same equipment. Web site is in the process of being overhauled. There had been no price increase in many years, so there is an approximately 30 percent increase across the board in effect, which will be reflected in the prices advertised on the new site.

Also, they can't currently take in firearms for custom fitting, and are not currently doing stocks for GP100 or SP101. (But I should check back in a few months.) They use their owned S&W frames to fit stocks for those guns.
    That's good news!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Custom order received last week from Herretts. My name written on the inside of the grips.

Pretty darn good fitting to frame. At first I thought I was going to have to sand them, but after applying a few pounds of pressure, they effectively snapped on. No shifting under recoil. Finish is not overly slick nor too pretty to shoot.

I am going to adjust the way it is hitting my right thumb slightly but otherwise they are awfully comfortable. The up-down dimension was literally perfect - just like they were made for me...

Robin on the phone was pleasure to interact with too.

Name:  B3B9B831-008B-4375-8EC6-B130DD63E9CC.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  67.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    Custom order received last week from Herretts. My name written on the inside of the grips.

Pretty darn good fitting to frame. At first I thought I was going to have to sand them, but after applying a few pounds of pressure, they effectively snapped on. No shifting under recoil. Finish is not overly slick nor too pretty to shoot.

I am going to adjust the way it is hitting my right thumb slightly but otherwise they are awfully comfortable. The up-down dimension was literally perfect - just like they were made for me...

Congrats...that's a beautiful piece!

-Rainman

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Custom order received last week from Herretts.
    Which design is that?

Did you do the hand trace thing?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Those are pretty impressive looking. I love that type of Walnut. Tell me, is this a round butt grip frame? I am seeing a subtle recurve near the bottom of the grip that makes me think it is.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Yep, round butt Model 12 with work by Karl Sokol. The grip is the custom Herretts’ Detective model, made to measure to your hand and the gun. In addition to hand tracing, I also traced the butt of the Model 12 - figured more info is better on a custom job.

The Herretts hand trace was pretty easy. Probably even easier if you had a partner to hold the pencil. The vertical dimension was amazing, tailor fit. The fit to the frame was clearly hand relieved - not messy, but you know it was not all CNC. The fit is tight, as there is an audible 80ish decibel SNAP sound when the stocks pivot on and down from shoulders.

I have stubby fingers and did find the left panel a bit too wide, as it made my arthritic right thumb splay out under recoil. I do not enjoy the Airweight recoil anyways, so it was a might uncomfortable. Not a criticism of the Herretts profile per se, as they had a slight thumb rest contoured in but low profile enough to avoid speed loaders. My thumb length just landed on the highest/thickest dimension.

Pre-adjustment profile
    Name:  A9BD0C34-540E-49C2-8756-626CEF96003D.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  25.5 KB

I chose the rubbed oil finish, no checkering in part if I wanted to do some adjusting. A few grits of sand paper and a trip to get some Tung oil, I have the left panel thinned out a bit. Effectively I removed nearly all 1/8” thumb rest contour. Viewed from behind, the panels are not symmetrical, being thicker on the right panel, but still is shootable from either hand. Giving the Tung oil some time to dry before I shoot it, but looks pretty close to Herretts’ finish.

Needs a few hundred more rounds to fully recommend, but looks good, feels good so far.

Yep, round butt Model 12 with work by Karl Sokol. The grip is the custom Herretts’ Detective model, made to measure to your hand and the gun. In addition to hand tracing, I also traced the butt of the Model 12 - figured more info is better on a custom job.

The Herretts hand trace was pretty easy. Probably even easier if you had a partner to hold the pencil. The vertical dimension was amazing, tailor fit. The fit to the frame was clearly hand relieved - not messy, but you know it was not all CNC. The fit is tight, as there is an audible 80ish decibel SNAP sound when the stocks pivot on and down from shoulders.

I have stubby fingers and did find the left panel a bit too wide, as it made my arthritic right thumb splay out under recoil. I do not enjoy the Airweight recoil anyways, so it was a might uncomfortable. Not a criticism of the Herretts profile per se, as they had a slight thumb rest contoured in but low profile enough to avoid speed loaders. My thumb length just landed on the highest/thickest dimension.

Pre-adjustment profile
    Name:  A9BD0C34-540E-49C2-8756-626CEF96003D.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  25.5 KB

I chose the rubbed oil finish, no checkering in part if I wanted to do some adjusting. A few grits of sand paper and a trip to get some Tung oil, I have the left panel thinned out a bit. Effectively I removed nearly all 1/8” thumb rest contour. Viewed from behind, the panels are not symmetrical, being thicker on the right panel, but still is shootable from either hand. Giving the Tung oil some time to dry before I shoot it, but looks pretty close to Herretts’ finish.

Needs a few hundred more rounds to fully recommend, but looks good, feels good so far.
    Is the revolver a 12-4 with the standard K grip frame dimensions or an earlier Model 12 with the slimmer grip frame? If it's earlier I may go down a rabbit hole :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Is the revolver a 12-4 with the standard K grip frame dimensions or an earlier Model 12 with the slimmer grip frame? If it's earlier I may go down a rabbit hole :-)
    Pictured is a Model 12-0 (flat latch even). Herretts’ nailed the fit for the slimmer frame.

Pictured is a Model 12-0 (flat latch even). Herretts’ nailed the fit for the slimmer frame.
    Thank you! Didn't think anyone was making grips for the older ones (not that I looked real hard either though). I like the stock magnas with a grip adaptor but have on and off wanted a taller grip. This may cost me money!

User Tag List