Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoidable shootings, good info

Site Supporter

Avoidable shootings, good info

This week Michael Drejka was attacked and injured by another inmate in a Florida state prison, where Drejka will be spending much of the rest of his life. You may recall Drejka’s name—he was predictably convicted of manslaughter last year by a Florida jury after he shot a man to death in a completely avoidable confrontation.

Attorney Steven Harris is a well trained shooter and tactician, in addition to being a lawyer with extensive courtroom experience. He was posted an excellent analysis of this shooting on Modern Service Weapons, a blog with a wealth of information for serious gun people. I encourage you to take the time to read it: http://modernserviceweapons.com/ .

I was not previously aware the interrogation was on the net. That's an interesting watch, if pretty darn long. He clearly thinks the shooting is righteous and the cops are his friends.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    This week Michael Drejka was attacked and injured by another inmate in a Florida state prison, where Drejka will be spending much of the rest of his life. You may recall Drejka’s name—he was predictably convicted of manslaughter last year by a Florida jury after he shot a man to death in a completely avoidable confrontation.

Attorney Steven Harris is a well trained shooter and tactician, in addition to being a lawyer with extensive courtroom experience. He was posted an excellent analysis of this shooting on Modern Service Weapons, a blog with a wealth of information for serious gun people. I encourage you to take the time to read it: http://modernserviceweapons.com/ .
    I’ll second people watching the Sheriff’s interview as well.

Given the prior behavior by Mr. Drejka I am not exactly shocked he got into another confrontation in prison.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-29-2020 at 12:15 AM.

That interview video should be mandatory in CCW classes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    So based on the video, what it looks like happened is that Drejka was in some type of verbal confrontation with the person in the car. A guy comes out of the store and knocks Drejka on his ass -- which could be a minor offense in itself I guess -- and then Drejka draws and shoots the guy who knocked him down.

Some of my takeaways are:

Don't get in any type of confrontation, even verbal, with someone while you are carrying if it can be avoided.

If you can get knocked off your feet as easily as Drejka did without attempting to prevent it, you have other problems besides the need to be armed. Obtain some awareness and physical skills.

Getting knocked on your butt as the result of a verbal argument does not by itself constitute a justification for using lethal force in return. Get up and apologize or seriously assess and take appropriate action as the situation dictates. If you do make a decision to use lethal force you had better be able to articulate why you felt it was your only option.

The word "imminent" has meaning that should be understood.

Don't assume you can make up for a bad decision by using LEO jargon at your interview. The cops and the court will take the fact that you shot someone very seriously, for good reason.

Site Supporter
    Well of course he got his ass kicked in prison.

If he actually knew how to fight he would have stayed out of prison

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Well of course he got his ass kicked in prison.

If he actually knew how to fight he would have stayed out of prison

Maybe. Maybe not. I think his mind and mindset were his biggest enemies then, and continue to be now.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I was mostly trying to be cute. A number of guys I know who carry a gun carry zero less lethal options and have no sense of de-escalation about them and they don't have the ability to fight themselves out of a wet paper bag.

To say nothing about this dude being a pugnacious, short sighted dumbass who seems to grossly over-estimate his own abilities

Yeah, this guy was a tragedy waiting to happen. Who knows how many parking lot incidents (or others) he was involved in beyond the most recent, and the one with the truck driver he had accosted previously?

I guess when you're the self-appointed parking lot police, you don't need no steenkin' badges nor any conception of the use of force continuum. (Or whatever happens to be the current term for such training.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Name:  Warning to others.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  29.1 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List