Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat dropping 460 Rowland, 38 Super, and 40 S&W pistols this year

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Now, is Wilson discontinuing their .38 Super ammo? That's about the only load out there not from Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore.
    Magtech ammunition should be available to you?

https://magtechammunition.com/produc...top-130gr-fmj/

Site Supporter

Now, is Wilson discontinuing their .38 Super ammo? That's about the only load out there not from Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Magtech ammunition should be available to you?

https://magtechammunition.com/produc...top-130gr-fmj/
    I’m pretty sure Rob s referring to Defensive loads with modern bullets Most of the major US ammo makers make .38 Super ball ammo as do Armscor and Aguila etc Winchester and Federal still make traditional hollow point ammo (Silevertipe and AE) but taking advantage if the .38 super’s velocity requires bonded or equivalent bullets.

This Wilson load in particular is what I would likely carry if toting a .38 super today. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/38-Supe...U%2D124%2DXTP/
    Last edited by HCM; 03-02-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Ah, I misunderstood then. My apologies.

Prior to the advent of the .357 Magnum, only two factory calibers could reliably penetrate car bodies and reach the occupants inside from a handgun.

7.63mm Mauser (i.e., Broomhandle Mauser)
    .38 Super

The .38-44 and .44 Special could only do so with hot handloads and .45 LC/.45 ACP could reasonably penetrate window glass, but had trouble with the thicker steel bodies that also tended to have wood reinforcements in them.

Anyways, Texas Rangers and other lawmen assigned to working organized crime/bank robbery tended to favor the .38 Super 1911, because of the penetration and fast(er) reloads. Though many clearly used .45 1911s, .44 Triple Lock Smiths, and .45 LC revolvers of various stripes. If one visits the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas - you will see a lot of Wolff & Klarr derived Smith revolvers and Colt 1911s. 1911s that date from prior to 1945 are about evenly split between .45 and .38 Super - post 1945, they are almost all .45.
    I remember hearing this on some TV special about crime in the 20's. The gun hipster in me is attracted to the little-known place in history occupied by the .38 Super 1911. Rock Island Arsenal makes a .38 Super 1911 for under $450 so that just makes the temptation all the greater.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I would note that if one has a 9mm or .38 Super 1911, all that you need to swap to the other caliber is a barrel, and perhaps magazines.

You can also shoot 9x23 Winchester, if I'm not mistaken...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I was looking to buy a 1911 on Gunbroker, and found one I liked. As part of my due diligence I did an image search for the pictures he used, and found them on a 1911 message board. I looked at his completed auctions and saw that he'd buy a 1911, post pics of it, receive accolades from other forum members about his amazing collection, then sell it on Gunbroker to buy another, thus giving the illusion of a bigger collection than he actually had.
    Attachment 49391

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I would note that if one has a 9mm or .38 Super 1911, all that you need to swap to the other caliber is a barrel, and perhaps magazines.

Although it’s possible, I wouldn’t shoot 9x23 out of a 38 super barrel. The slightly different chamber dimensions can cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Rock Island Arsenal makes a .38 Super 1911 for under $450 so that just makes the temptation all the greater.
    For clarity, I'll assume those .38 Super 1911's for under $450 are available from Rock Island Armory and not the Rock Island Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    Per email from Wilson Combat; all current orders will be completed, future orders limited to the current inventory of barrels.
    Does this mean 40 S & W will no longer be permitted in IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

I would strongly advise against this as the 9x23 working pressure is well above that of .38 Super. While Winchester 9x23 brass is extremely strong, it does need the chamber support of a properly chambered 9x23 barrel. My 9x23 reloads use rifle primers, and I rarely push the round to its full potential. I have loaded 147-grain Hornday XTP at 1450 fps to make my own semi-automatic .357 Magnum load for use on deer; that load is darn near maximum.

User Tag List