Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat dropping 460 Rowland, 38 Super, and 40 S&W pistols this year

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I once mistakenly bought a box of .38 super ammo because it was mixed with the .38 special. Dang near used that as an excuse to buy a 1911 in .38 super.
    Failures like that can haunt you for a long time. They’re still making Super guns; it’s not too late.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    I recently bought a couple of Colt Super 38s and a dozen Ed Brown magazines for them. Really nice shooters and they seem to work properly so far.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    If you spent any time on 1911 Addicts you would think 36 Super is the next coming.
    They're addicted to collecting 1911s, not shooting 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    They're addicted to collecting 1911s, not shooting 1911s.
    And trading them off like stamps.

I was looking to buy a 1911 on Gunbroker, and found one I liked. As part of my due diligence I did an image search for the pictures he used, and found them on a 1911 message board. I looked at his completed auctions and saw that he'd buy a 1911, post pics of it, receive accolades from other forum members about his amazing collection, then sell it on Gunbroker to buy another, thus giving the illusion of a bigger collection than he actually had.

Site Supporter
    Upside is you can take advantage of the bespoke 1911 being fairly soft if you were so inclined....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I'm sort of in my own 38 Super phase right now but I have a feeling most people who shoot the Super are doing so in Colts and Dan Wessons.
    I almost ordered a DW in .38 but for now I'm doing it in Colts and Tanfoglios (17+1, fuck yeah).

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I was looking to buy a 1911 on Gunbroker, and found one I liked. As part of my due diligence I did an image search for the pictures he used, and found them on a 1911 message board. I looked at his completed auctions and saw that he'd buy a 1911, post pics of it, receive accolades from other forum members about his amazing collection, then sell it on Gunbroker to buy another, thus giving the illusion of a bigger collection than he actually had.
    That’s hilarious but hey, it probably made a basically unfired gun a few hundo cheaper, so everybody wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    I have a friend whose uncle was a Texas Ranger back in the and 30s and carried a Colt 1911 in 38 Super. He liked it a lot.
    Prior to the advent of the .357 Magnum, only two factory calibers could reliably penetrate car bodies and reach the occupants inside from a handgun.

7.63mm Mauser (i.e., Broomhandle Mauser)
    .38 Super

The .38-44 and .44 Special could only do so with hot handloads and .45 LC/.45 ACP could reasonably penetrate window glass, but had trouble with the thicker steel bodies that also tended to have wood reinforcements in them.

Anyways, Texas Rangers and other lawmen assigned to working organized crime/bank robbery tended to favor the .38 Super 1911, because of the penetration and fast(er) reloads. Though many clearly used .45 1911s, .44 Triple Lock Smiths, and .45 LC revolvers of various stripes. If one visits the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas - you will see a lot of Wolff & Klarr derived Smith revolvers and Colt 1911s. 1911s that date from prior to 1945 are about evenly split between .45 and .38 Super - post 1945, they are almost all .45.

___

A .38 Super CCO-pattern gun is on my want list. I love me some .38 Super - it's stupid and I shouldn't want it (hence why I call it .38 STUPer)...I still wants it.

Now, is Wilson discontinuing their .38 Super ammo? That's about the only load out there not from Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

A .38 Super CCO-pattern gun is on my want list. I love me some .38 Super - it's stupid and I shouldn't want it (hence why I call it .38 STUPer)...I still wants it.

Now, is Wilson discontinuing their .38 Super ammo? That's about the only load out there not from Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore.

I love 38 supers too. I have shot a 9mm 1911, but the super seems right for the gun. Plus, when you reload you can shoot on the cheap.

Sigs 38 super Ammo shoots well.

User Tag List