Thread: Week 361: Three Seconds or Less

Week 361: Three Seconds or Less

Week 361: Three Seconds or Less

Results may be posted until March 28th, 2020.

Designed by: Karl Rehn
    Range: 2-7 yards
    Target: IDPA or USPSA
    Start Position: Varies
    Rounds Fired: 20

This is a short skills test that centers around tasks performed in three seconds or less - a nod to the likely character of event being short distance, low round count, in a limited amount of time. See link to original write-up for clarification and additional comments from the designer: https://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Info...ondsOrLess.htm

Scoring: Several targets are mentioned in the original write up, but let's simplify and use an IDPA or USPSA target if possible. A/-0 zone and head box are 5 points. C/-1 zone are 3 points. D/-3 zone and misses are zero points. Overtime shots score zero points. You can also download and print the proprietary target on 11x17” paper using the link above.

Set the par time at 3 seconds for all strings in the drill. Unless otherwise noted, use two hands and shoot freestyle.

String 1: 3 yards - Start hands at sides with gun holstered and concealed. At the start signal, step left, draw and shoot 3 shots to the body.

String 2: 3 yards - Start with master hand gripping gun and support hand on chest. At the start signal, shoot 2 shots to the head.

String 3: 3 yards - Start hands at sides with gun holstered and concealed. At the start signal, step right, draw and shoot 3 shots to the body.

String 4: 2 yards - Start with master hand gripping gun and support hand on chest. At the start signal, retreat while drawing strong hand only and shooting 2 shots to the body.

String 5: 7 yards - Start with unloaded gun with slide locked back in dominant hand, and full magazine in support hand, 1-2” from mag well. At the start signal, load the gun and shoot 1 shot to the body.

String 6: 7 yards - Start at ready position. At the start signal, shoot 2 shots to the head.

String 7: 7 yards - Start with master hand gripping gun and support hand on chest. At the start signal, draw and fire 2 shots to the body using strong hand only.

String 8: 7 yards - Start facing 90 degree laterally to the target (face the left if you are right handed, face the right if you are left handed), master grip established on holstered gun. At the start signal, turn to face downrange, draw and shoot 3 shots to the body.

String 9: 7 yards - Start with master hand on chest, and gun in support hand, on target, with finger in register. At the start signal, shoot 2 shots to the body using support hand only.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment garment)
    Total score out of possible 100
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Langdon PX4CC, JM Wing Claw 2.5, IDPA target.

I started off with two -1 zone hits; since it was the first stage, I decided it was OK to start over.

I shot the rest of it clean (including head shots) but spaced out and only fired two shots on the 7-yard turn and draw. Purely procedural so I took another mulligan.

Bottom line ... I shot 91, 95, 96, or 100 depending on how many of my alibis you’re willing to buy.

Site Supporter
    M9 JMCK
    Shot clean until stage 6. Stage 4 I drew and fired, didn’t read close enough. Stage 6 -1x1, stage 7 -1x, stage 8 -1x2, stage 9 -1x1.
    Total of 90/100.

Still winter, patiently waiting for AIWB weather.

HK P30L 4.1, Compac Tac OWB holster, under heavy winter carhartt coat
    96/100, I marked the scoring weird on the cardboard, whoops
    missed shots were both lazy fatigued rushes at the end of day, kicking myself for that.
    Name:  three seconds or less 3720.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  38.0 KB
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

G17 gen2
    BladeTech Total Eclipse, OWB strong side
    Polartec coat

Total score: 88/100, all strings under par (barely, #3=2.98, #8=2.97).

Name:  20200307_183616.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  24.8 KB

Shot this cold, haven't shot in a week. So first string made me happy:
    Name:  20200307_174350.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  31.2 KB

But then string 6, my two "head shots" landed just below the head box, and so were in the -1 zone...and those two lowest shots, those were the WHO shots...

Great drill, goin'in the book.

I shot this with my 30 year old G17, in BladeTech strong side, 'cause we were talkin' about such things in another thread, and I love this gun, been carrying and shooting it for years. Been with me through thick and thin.

Only mods are a red FO front, steel factory rear, NY1 w/ "-" Connector (Lone Wolf), and stipled frontstrap. (NY1 w/ "-" is my preferred trigger in gen 2 & 3 guns)

Oddly though, I don't shoot it as well as I used to, due to thousands of rounds and so much trigger time with a gen4 G19, P80 compact, and G23 over the last year or so....different, slimmer grip allows better trigger reach, for me.

The difference is subtle, but it's evident.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 03-08-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment garment)
    HK VP9/RMR09 Type 2/X300U in Phlster Floodlight w/JMC AIWB high-ride mag carrier concealed under fishing shirt

Total score out of possible 100
    Depends on whether the entire VTAC headbox is scorable... so either 100 or 92. No shots over time.

Anything you noticed
    I misread the instructions and shot string 2 from the low ready (SHO) rather than from the holster, which I realized when I got to string 4, which says "draw" (string 2 does not, but it's implied). Adding a half second to my time (consistent with my first shot times in strings 4 and 7) I still would have been under par, so I'm ok with that. This particular drill I did not find super challenging to shoot clean. On the lateral movement strings I struggled to stop at one step—usually I take at least two aggressive shuffle steps if I'm moving off-line. Starting a string with grip established in holster is something I almost never practice, but I'll probably incorporate that into my regimen from time to time just for the sake of familiarity. The surreptitious draw could certainly have some value.

Couldn't help it, had to shoot this again.

G19 gen4
    JMCK AIWB
    Same polartec coat
    Score 96/100
    All shots under par, (worst time was string 3 = 2.82)

Name:  20200308_200815.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  25.6 KB

I knew I'd do better with the gun/rig I've been shooting and carrying so much for the last year.

It fits my hand better than gen3 &3 guns, and I'm very accustomed to it now. Been training alot with it.

Only mods to this one are Ameriglo Bold orange square/tritium front site, and standard (non-dot) Connector.

Gen5G19MOS with ACRO mounted, out of a JM Custom OWB2, concealed under a jacket. Lit indoor range.
    100 points on the KR target(I am grateful for competent admin.staff who know how to adjust a copier!)
    I had a couple of strings barely over 2.5 seconds; a 2.5 par may be doable for me-would have to work on burst and support hand only shooting.
    I like this test, and certainly respect KRs work. Noted a slight offset @3yards from the optic. Will explore that a bit...

User Tag List