Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Recoil Control to Shooting Performance

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I shoot an iron sighted 17 significantly better than the 44, but haven't shot an iron sighted 19 enough lately to say.
    I am simultaneously impressed and discouraged. I am so much better with the small caliber it’s ridiculous. That tells me you are really good at controlling recoil and I have a long way to go.

Deleted--wrong quote
    Last edited by Redhat; 03-03-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I am simultaneously impressed and discouraged. I am so much better with the small caliber it’s ridiculous. That tells me you are really good at controlling recoil and I have a long way to go.
    Can you be specific about what you mean when you say "controlling recoil" ?

Hammertime
    With the caveat that my 44 is stock and my CO Glock pistols are not stock, my experience is that I shoot my 9mm Glock pistols better than my Glock 44. To have a full discussion on this topic, it would be interesting to hear what others experience in terms of results between the G44 and their 9mm Glock pistols.

I would like to continue the discussion. I guess I can't comprehend how you can possibly shoot a service 9mm handgun better than a rimfire of the same size when the timer is on? Can you elaborate? Like I said before my hit factor on static drills is 50% higher with the rimfire. You must return the sights to target with the 9mm just as fast or faster than with a .22. In other words, your splits are unaffected by caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Can you be specific about what you mean when you say "controlling recoil" ?
    I mean returning the gun to where it started when the first shot went off and firing again. Splits in other words. See my reply to GJM above.

I mean returning the gun to where it started when the first shot went off and firing again. Splits in other words. See my reply to GJM above.
    I'm figuring out the same thing, just not with a .22 so interested in the comments.

If you could break it down into segments, how would you describe what you actually see during and immediately after the shot?

I would like to continue the discussion. I guess I can't comprehend how you can possibly shoot a service 9mm handgun better than a rimfire of the same size when the timer is on? Can you elaborate? Like I said before my hit factor on static drills is 50% higher with the rimfire. You must return the sights to target with the 9mm just as fast or faster than with a .22. In other words, your splits are unaffected by caliber.
    Go shoot some drills with both and report your splits.

My best splits with a Glock 9 are in the .15/.16 range, and sub .20 is common, to an A at 7. I can’t do that with the 44.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Go shoot some drills with both and report your splits.

My best splits with a Glock 9 are in the .15/.16 range, and sub .20 is common, to an A at 7. I can’t do that with the 44.
    While I don’t have a G44, I think there is just a limit to how fast you can pull a trigger. I ran 3 bill drills back to back as a demo last week. All sub 2, most splits .17-.18, all A zone.

I simply can’t pull a handgun trigger faster consistently. Doesn’t matter the platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and disagree. In the example of the Glock 17 to 44, I believe I am bumping against how fast I can manipulate the Glock trigger. Last week though, I was shooting .13 splits with my MPX. For whatever reason, I need to work to shoot a Glock trigger fast, and each successive shot takes effort. With a 2011 it feels like it just splits until I stop it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My splits are more dependent on my grip than on the gun, but the gun does matter. If I'm too tense in my strong hand, or my wrist tension isn't high enough, I'll clock ~0.18 to 0.20s with a Shadow2 shooting doubles or a Bill. If I'm relaxed, and my wrists are "locked", splits go down to 0.16 to 0.18s.

Interestingly, I can shoot slightly faster doubles with a P-07 than with a Shadow2, but of course the groups are usually larger.

I haven't shot a .22 in maybe a year, but it's really easy to shoot 0.15s with a Ruger Mark3 and keep the hits tight.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are we talking about fast splits? To me recoil control means that the gun returns reasonably quickly (~0.20) but more importantly it returns to the same spot in a highly repeatable way. People with the best recoil control can do this even when in a really jacked up shooting position. That's easy to do with a .22 or while dry firing. Not so easy with full caliber.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List