Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Recoil Control to Shooting Performance

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree and disagree. In the example of the Glock 17 to 44, I believe I am bumping against how fast I can manipulate the Glock trigger. Last week though, I was shooting .13 splits with my MPX. For whatever reason, I need to work to shoot a Glock trigger fast, and each successive shot takes effort. With a 2011 it feels like it just splits until I stop it.
    I can split a AR faster than a handgun as well. But 1911/2011 vs Glock I don’t really see a difference on static drills. The 1911 feels “easier”, but the timer doesn’t show a difference. I wish it did, give me a reason to go buy an STI Staccato Duo. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    ...give me a reason to go buy an STI Staccato Duo. Haha
    Sorry for the distraction, but I totally don't get why this gun is a big deal. Is it a John Wick thing?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    To me, recoil control has more to do with how accurate my shots are at speed. It's also heavily dependent on the consistency of my grip.

A rimfire pistol will let you get away with a lot as far as grip consistency goes. Especially if you're shooting it quickly. I see it to a degree with my 1911s as well. Before doing a lot of work on grip, I could shoot the same speed with greater accuracy with my 9mm 5" guns than with my 5" .45 caliber pistols.

But with a more consistent, repeatable grip I find that difference is less now than it was before.

Do a lot of Frank Garcia's Dots with your 9mm and you'll see what I'm talking about. That drill (aside from being a soul crushing junk punch) is almost completely a grip consistency tool.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Do a lot of Frank Garcia's Dots with your 9mm and you'll see what I'm talking about. That drill (aside from being a soul crushing junk punch) is almost completely a grip consistency tool.
    Yes. Completely agree. I do the Dots at 7yds with a Shadow2, and at 5yds with a P-07.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree and disagree. In the example of the Glock 17 to 44, I believe I am bumping against how fast I can manipulate the Glock trigger. Last week though, I was shooting .13 splits with my MPX. For whatever reason, I need to work to shoot a Glock trigger fast, and each successive shot takes effort. With a 2011 it feels like it just splits until I stop it.

OK this again reminds me of when after like 6 mos and 10K rounds of Glock shooting you could immediately still split better with an M&P and were like WTF? And in the 800 rounds I owned a 320 I found it easier to shoot faster splits with equal hits than my G's. I don't consider these differences important to me for my shooting but I think the phenomena is super interesting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    To me, recoil control has more to do with how accurate my shots are at speed. It's also heavily dependent on the consistency of my grip.

A rimfire pistol will let you get away with a lot as far as grip consistency goes. Especially if you're shooting it quickly. I see it to a degree with my 1911s as well. Before doing a lot of work on grip, I could shoot the same speed with greater accuracy with my 9mm 5" guns than with my 5" .45 caliber pistols.

But with a more consistent, repeatable grip I find that difference is less now than it was before.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    +1 I am a high risk patient for getting lazy on the grip with lighter recoiling calibers. That's a thing to be watchful for. I've seen it manifest a few times when breaking out my G22 and being very focused on winching down that grip and seeing improved hits without a measurable speed penalty. Then I have to back and apply that learning to the 9's.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    OK this again reminds me of when after like 6 mos and 10K rounds of Glock shooting you could immediately still split better with an M&P and were like WTF? And in the 800 rounds I owned a 320 I found it easier to shoot faster splits with equal hits than my G's. I don't consider these differences important to me for my shooting but I think the phenomena is super interesting.
    I think it’s the human/platform interface. Glocks are less than Perfection in that realm.

This thread is making me want to break out the Bear Cannon (G20)...

Site Supporter
    I was taught to stop trying to “control” recoil and learn to “manage” the recoil. Different guns recoil differently. Work on your grip and stance until the gun recoils in a straight arc up and then returns straight down to the same place. See the front sight on the target and work the trigger. Track the front sight during recoil and when the sights return back on target fire if desired. Eventually you will see the brass coming out of the gun. It takes a lot of practice, a lot of rounds- a good coach and instructor help. The bad part isn’t is a perishable skill. I still think a double action revolver really helps with learning to work the trigger on any gun. When I turned 21 I bought a S&W model 17 and case of .22 LR (5000) rds. It was a good investment

Site Supporter
    I usually demonstrate the gun recoiling straight up by having people place both of their hands together palm to palm in front of their chest. Extend their arms out straight while keeping their palms together. Press their hands together (isometric) then move their arms up and down with the palm together. If they are using equal pressure their hands go straight up and down

User Tag List