Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated, unable to find holster design I want

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
    So, I'm looking for a general holster for IWB for my P99C in natural-colored horsehide.

I tried one from HNH (won't spell out the name) and it was a Christmas gift opened 17 days after purchase, but it had a design flaw and they did not mold it to the gun shape properly (was slightly offset) and the service rep unprofessionally argued with me (I have the emails) and stubbornly stuck to their "15 day" return policy (even though other manufacturers give extra return time during the holidays) and now I'm stuck with a fairly expensive bad holster in the drawer and will never order from them again. :-(

So, I want a natural color horsehide IWB holster for my pistol that has a wide backing behind the butt of the gun. THAT is the design flaw I see in most IWB holsters, because when your body moves, the holster moves, and the edge of the butt of the gun moves off the little finger of leather and jabs you in the muffin top, especially when sitting down. BAD DESIGN.

Now, some might tell me to lose my muffin top, and while I am taking steps to do that I still want to find a holster manufacturer that isn't so cheap that they will put a few extra inches of leather behind the butt of the pistol that's sticking out at the top for protection against my skin. I'm willing to pay if it is done properly so cost is not my first thought.

Anyone have any suggestions for me please? I'd hate to keep wasting money on return shipping for holsters that just aren't right for me.
    TIA!
    Nobody makes what you’re looking for because when the weather gets soft, and it will it will interfere with getting a proper grip on the gun if you need to draw it in an emergency. There’s an old saying they’re carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable. The priority is being armed and being effective when the firearm is needed.

Many will wear an undershirt even if it is just the a shirt/tank top style under their primary cover garment to place some thing between the gun and the skin.

With regard to how to carry a firearm with the least discomfort number one is it is much easier to recommend a firearm to someone then a holster, everyone is built differently and you have to try a few until you find what works for you much like shoes. The other part of the equation that is often ignored is wearing a proper belt.

Site Supporter
    Does not look like they do it right either. In their image (see link below) the darker part in the back where the butt of the pistol lays against? That part of leather, shaped like a rectangle in the image, needs to be much bigger and wider, to allow for the gun moving and protecting my skin from the square edge of the gun.

http://jrcholsters.com/images/storie...s/img_9555.jpg

Call him, custom leather is custom leather. He might let you know if the idea is good or not.

I love all my stuff from him. I got all my cards/cash in a $350 wallet from JRC. I feel like a man using that wallet.

The only people I know of making a holster with a design that you want is N82 Tactical: https://n82tactical.com/concealed-carry-holsters/

@HCM covered it. In the future, I think it's wise to refrain from saying that one of the best custom leather workers on the market with sound, time-tested and proven designs is "doing it wrong" simply because you're fat and don't know what you don't know.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The only people I know of making a holster with a design that you want is N82 Tactical: https://n82tactical.com/concealed-carry-holsters/

@HCM covered it. In the future, I think it's wise to refrain from saying that one of the best custom leather workers on the market with sound, time-tested and proven designs is "doing it wrong" simply because you're fat and don't know what you don't know.
    That N82 tactical thing is several bad ideas wrapped into one.

There’s plenty of big people that carry guns using safe and effective holsters. I suspect an undershirt and a proper belt would fix the OP’s issues.

Site Supporter

That N82 tactical thing is several bad ideas wrapped into one.

There’s plenty of big people that carry guns using safe and effective holsters. I suspect an undershirt and a proper belt would fix the OP’s issues.

I do agree that the insistence that everyone else is doing it wrong is an indication the OP just doesn’t know, what he doesn’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    @Mushu
    So you want a holster that has a huge sweat shield that puts leather between your skin and the entire grip of your gun?
    No, just the back of the slide.

I appreciate your opinion that my wording could be improved. In no way was I trying to indicate that anyone does poor work. And thanks for the link also. If they could remove the backing behind the grip and simply increase the area of the backing behind the butt of the slide it would be what I'm looking for. Someone mentioned calling some of the makers and that might be what I need to do. I was just hoping that someone knew of any places that sold IWB holsters with a wider area over the rear of the slide is all.
    Last edited by Mushu; 02-29-2020 at 11:41 AM.

No, just the back of the slide.
    Just about any quality holster maker incorporates a "Sweat Guard" into their design which provides coverage for the rear of the slide and the rear sight area, they are usually available with a "Full" sweat guard or an option of a reduced or no sweat guard at all. Most any of the holster makers suggested here have had their designs vetted or they would not be recommended here, not sure why you interpret that their designs are bad? Maybe you just have to try a holster from one of the reputable holster craftsmen suggested here!

Kramer Handgun Leather makes horsehide holsters - the #2, #5, and Thomas Perfectionist all have high sweat shields for the slide available if not standard. All Kramer leather is made-to-order. Call them and order the holster, it won't be cheap and it won't be quick. The #4 also has a high sweat shield, but is not a recommended design, because the clip will definitely pull off more easily than others.
    ___

I have a 'muffin top' as well and carry a full-size 1911. For comfort you need an undershirt, a proper belt, and a cover garment that is at least a half-size larger than you'd normally wear. Because clothing sizes vary, you may need to try several brands before you find what you want in a cover garment. Believe it or not, you want the gun to move with your hip, if you think it's uncomfortable when it stabs you now, try having a hunk of immobile steel on your hip for hours and days on end.

General life advice...

If you can’t locate that specialty product you just “need”, there’s probably a reason nobody makes it.

Nobody is that special.

This leaves you two options:
    1) acknowledge the above
    2) make it yourself

User Tag List