Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Colt Commander

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Lightweight Colt Commander

Late last year, I asked about Series 80 parts for a Colt Commander.

That was premature, as the gun was owned by a widow who inherited it from her husband. She didn't have a carry permit, so the machinations to get a private sale approved in this fucking state CT were groan-worthy.

But it's done and the gun is mine:

Name:  Colt LWC.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  62.5 KB

It has dead nightsights, which are being replaced. The feed ramp has the black anodizing worn, but it's not gouged up.

I've no experience with this particular model. Someone I know elsewhere said that I should only use either milspec 7-round magazines or ones that have plastic followers to avoid trashing the feed ramp.

What sort of things about this particular model of gun should I keep in mind?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The Power Mag Plus is advertised "alloy frame safe."
    https://www.cmproducts.com/Power-Mag...ess_p_199.html
    Checkmate has the "bull nose" follower for the purpose.
    Plastic followers by Wilson and Tripp (7 shot) will protect the aluminum.

If you find yourself getting premature slide lock, delete the extended slide stop lever.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

To minimize failure and maximize fun, I'd go with plastic follower 7 round mags and ball ammo.

Check-Mate 7 round mag

I have used this magazine in my Springfield and Dan Wesson full-size 1911s. It's been 100% in both. I like the dimpled follower. You can see how the front of the follower is kept in check (pun) by the magazine. The front leg (?) of the follower is about 3/16 of an inch beneath the top edge of the magazine. I have tried, but I can't push the follower forward at all. I do have that problem with my Ruger P90 magazines so I know of your concern.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

I’ve had good luck with GI/mil-spec mags by checkmate in my series 80 lightweight commander. It’s actually been an incredibly reliable 1911, and the one that remains with me out of all the 911s that have come and gone of late. If you start to experience any lock back or feed issues, try a new recoil spring to start. Mine chews through springs—I just throw a new Wolff standard power in every 1k at this point.

I took top shot (and a free t-shirt; yay) in an "advanced" class at our local place with mine about 10 years back. It’s a little fatiguing for a class, but no complaints on the performance. Congrats.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

My best friend has an early 1950's LW Commander he inherited from his father-in-law. Safe to assume the same magazine issues pertain to his vintage model? He only shoots standard pressure ball ammo
    in it.

T-I-A

So if you have metal feed lipped mags, no need to buy new ones. Just buy tripp super 7 kits to replace the innards.

Otherwise the checkmate hybrids 7 and 8 rounder are the most cost effective and reliable I have found for mine.

I love mine. Eats everything I feed it. Enjoy it!

It came with some magazines, including three 8-round Wilsons. I replaced the springs and followers. I also put in a new recoil spring and firing pin return spring.

I should look at holsters, too. I have a Desantis Cozy Partner that i've used for carrying a 1911 and a BHP.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Late last year, I asked about Series 80 parts for a Colt Commander.

That was premature, as the gun was owned by a widow who inherited it from her husband. She didn't have a carry permit, so the machinations to get a private sale approved in this fucking state CT were groan-worthy.

But it's done and the gun is mine:

Name:  Colt LWC.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  62.5 KB

It has dead nightsights, which are being replaced. The feed ramp has the black anodizing worn, but it's not gouged up.

I've no experience with this particular model. Someone I know elsewhere said that I should only use either milspec 7-round magazines or ones that have plastic followers to avoid trashing the feed ramp.

What sort of things about this particular model of gun should I keep in mind?
    The Series 80 firing pin safety makes it more of a challenge to get a great trigger than, say, a Series 70 Colt. Fortunately, Jody Joseph in Southington is a great 1911 smith. He can give you a great trigger without removing safeties, dehorn, remove any thumb safety slop, new sights, whatever you want. Unless the gun is fine the way it is, I’d let him pull it apart, check all the springs, etc. When we lived in CT, he did a pile of 1911’s for GJM & me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    The Series 80 firing pin safety makes it more of a challenge to get a great trigger than, say, a Series 70 Colt. Fortunately, Jody Joseph in Southington is a great 1911 smith. He can give you a great trigger without removing safeties, dehorn, remove any thumb safety slop, new sights, whatever you want. Unless the gun is fine the way it is, I’d let him pull it apart, check all the springs, etc. When we lived in CT, he did a pile of 1911’s for GJM & me.
    Thanks, I'll keep him in mind. I'll probably put a bunch of rounds through it before doing anything more to it.

User Tag List