Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MOBIL 1 in lieu of “gun oil” or grease ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Ive read on numerous occasions that grease tends to hold brass shavings whereas oil does not. Grease can also gum up in colder temps.
    Since I field-strip and clean after each shooting, I haven't observed or am particularly worried about brass shavings. FWIW, brass shavings seem to occur with more frequency with practice/dummy rounds than actual live fire cartridges.

I agree with the possibilities of grease congealing at low temps and inducing operational issues. In cold climates, I'd probably remove grease from my lubricant palette, and go to thinner viscosity options (or even Dri-Slide, but only for low roundcounts).

Best, Jon

I have been using Mobil 1 VTWIN 20W50 for a very long time and it works for me.

Here’s a very informative article on gun oils and greases if you really want to geek out.

Lubrication 101: Gun Oil, Snake Oil and How to Tell the Difference by Grant Cunningham

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006...brication-101/

I transitioned to ATF fluid (Been awhile now) since reading the article and I’m a believer.

Your guns don’t care. Just use something.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiman View Post
    Here’s a very informative article on gun oils and greases if you really want to geek out.

Lubrication 101: Gun Oil, Snake Oil and How to Tell the Difference by Grant Cunningham

I transitioned to ATF fluid (Been awhile now) since reading the article and I’m a believer.
    Thanks for sharing that link - it was a good read.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Ive read on numerous occasions that grease tends to hold brass shavings whereas oil does not. Grease can also gum up in colder temps.
    Right. Grease has a tendency to get sticky and bind up in colder temps.

A lot of people like grease because they think it stays where you put it. They usually don't realize that grease is just oil in a binder. The binder sticks around but the oil still does oil things like evaporate, burn off, or migrate...leaving the binder behind. Which now, deprived of oil, actually holds on to other stuff and turns into an abrasive.
    3/15/2016

After years of paying for and keeping multiple different types of expensive specialty lubes on hand I started using Mobil 1 15w50 on my guns, mountain bike drivetrains, and air cooled Porsche. I haven't noticed any differences and it sure is nice to have one quart of oil on the shelf that lasts forever and serves multiple purposes

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Most likely a brief mention by ARay, who actually holds certification in the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers.
    Look for it here.
    https://firearmsradio.tv/civilian-ca...mance-shooting

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Right. Grease has a tendency to get sticky and bind up in colder temps.

A lot of people like grease because they think it stays where you put it. They usually don't realize that grease is just oil in a binder. The binder sticks around but the oil still does oil things like evaporate, burn off, or migrate...leaving the binder behind. Which now, deprived of oil, actually holds on to other stuff and turns into an abrasive.
    This. The little carbon and other abrasive bits turn into a lapping paste if they aren't flushed out. Adding new lube and running wet helps flush them out. So does pulling off the slide and spending 30 seconds running a penny's worth of cotton swabs up and down the rails.

I'm in the non-toxic camp, as I seem to be a bit of a canary when it comes to chemicals. I have been going through some FP-10 and some Weapon Shield. I have good results with plain old Hoppes #9 oil on revolvers. I read the Grant Cunningham piece and have a can of SFL-0 for things I grease. Would put some FMO-350-AW in the queue to try if I could find it reasonably priced, or in reasonable quantities. There is a guy who repackages it and sells on Fleabay. Maybe I'll give that a shot when I need to buy some more gun oil one day.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiman View Post

I stil have a .50 cal ammo can filled with home brewed Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, which is largely ATF, as a dunk tank for parts.

pat

Lubricants have several functions, and any single formulation is not equally good at all of them:

-Friction reduction, friction modulation
    -Wear reduction, including removal of wear products
    -Corrosion inhibition
    -Heat management (probably irrelevant to firearms)

I have explored a lot of options, and settled on a few that work well for my needs. I've also found some that really don't work well.

Lucas extreme gun oil and Lucas marine grease are my choice for high round counts and 3-4k between cleanings in my Shadow2s. I had over 33,000 rounds on a single slide stop in my practice gun, using a thin film of grease.

I like Weaponshield oil and grease for bolt action rifles.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List