Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOBIL 1 in lieu of “gun oil” or grease ?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Another that preferrs other, cleaner stuff. But I have in the past and will in the future use synthetic motor oil in a pinch. In one of my armorers classes (AR15) it was actually recommended, to the point of using your vehicle dipstick to put a couple of drops here and there in the rifle.

pat
    That was probably for an AK47, and the dipstick was to be obtained from the nearest GAZ or Technical, provided you avoided being pistol-whipped or butt-stroked by said vehicle's occupants during the process....

Kidding.

Realistically, most lubricants with in an acceptable range of viscosity will probably work-at least for a time. Your choice probably needs to devolve around your expectations of the lubricant effectiveness, persistence, and your ability to check and re-apply as necessary to maintain said effectiveness for expected use scenarios.

My personal preference is to use grease for areas of metal-on-metal component reciprocation, a proven weapon general lube for other metal applications, and a dry film lubricant for difficult to access action parts and inner magazine tubes and springs.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    For years I've used common ATF for liquid lube and either a bike-oriented product known as Slick Honey or most recently Geissele Go Juice when I want a thin grease. I tend to use thin greases inside revolvers and oil everywhere else.

I'm intrigued by the silicone spray linked by @RevolverRob and have added it to my Amazon Wish List.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    For years I've used common ATF for liquid lube and either a bike-oriented product known as Slick Honey or most recently Geissele Go Juice when I want a thin grease. I tend to use thin greases inside revolvers and oil everywhere else.

I'm intrigued by the silicone spray linked by @RevolverRob and have added it to my Amazon Wish List.

Chris
    Yeah. Tranny Fluid is better. STS!

(Ducks and runs for cover)

Name:  9BC790DD-25B5-4E6B-B7FE-8727C7439586.jpeg
Views: 536
Size:  30.2 KB
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

I have so many odds and ends of free samples and old fad lubes that I will probably never have to buy "gun" oil or grease again.
    Mobil 1 with a bit of STP or Lucas Stabilizer works OK (Half and half is too viscous, I'm at 3 or 4 to one.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

No degree or certification or book smarts from me, just that street knowledge. LOL

I prefer the heavier weight oils as opposed to the thin lightweight stuff - MGL, Slip200, lighter engine oils, etc. and I prefer the non toxic stuff too. Slip EWL30 is my main choice here in Texas, but I do bust out the grease for locking lugs and sears and trigger bars when I’m feeling a little frisky. The main thing I hate is run-off, on to the clothes or skin and the heavier stuff stays where I put it - better. Synthetic oils should be healthier than the conventional stuff IIRC but I haven’t looked at the MSDS for oils in a while.

I did not like the Lucas products. Color, MSDS, performance vs other stuff I’ve tried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I have enough lubes, greases and oils to last the rest of my life. That said, I don't think the gun lube manufacturers know something the auto companies don't. An old trick if your gun is running dry at the range is to pull your dipstick and swipe the oil off of that.

Know why you should bend your elbows when shooting a 1911? So the oil has a low spot to drip from.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I have enough lubes, greases and oils to last the rest of my life. That said, I don't think the gun lube manufacturers know something the auto companies don't. An old trick if your gun is running dry at the range is to pull your dipstick and swipe the oil off of that.

Know why you should bend your elbows when shooting a 1911? So the oil has a low spot to drip from.
    I'm surprised anyone know what a dipstick is anymore.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I used to but have since moved to Lucas products for everything. Pistol, shotgun and rifle. Doesnt evaporate as fast as the car stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Been using Mobile One 30W for over 20 years, works fine.

Ive read on numerous occasions that grease tends to hold brass shavings whereas oil does not. Grease can also gum up in colder temps.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List