Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOBIL 1 in lieu of “gun oil” or grease ?

MOBIL 1 in lieu of “gun oil” or grease ?

I have been using Lucas Gun Oil and grease on my Beretta 92A1.
    A week ago I cleaned it meticulously but used some Mobil
    1 Synthetic car oil on the slide/frame rails and locking block and interfacing
    frame surfaces. I shot 100 rounds yesterday. It is very slick and quiet. I don’t
    plan on doing this long term until I run out of my Lucas products, which I am very
    pleased with. Anyone else ever tried this? A soaked Q-tip in the grooves is fast and
    easy. Just passing along the experience.

I've been using Mobile 1 full synthetic for a while now. Seems to work great but does evaporate after a while so keep an eye on it and reapply as needed. I also use grease on the slide rails and sear which was recommended to me here.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Do you grease the sear without removing the hammer?

I used to use Mobil 1 and it does work well but I stopped using toxic oils in general about 2 years ago. One quart of that stuff will last a long time ! I only use non-toxic, non-carcinogenic oils now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I have been using Lucas Gun Oil and grease on my Beretta 92A1.
    A week ago I cleaned it meticulously but used some Mobil
    1 Synthetic car oil on the slide/frame rails and locking block and interfacing
    frame surfaces. I shot 100 rounds yesterday. It is very slick and quiet. I don’t
    plan on doing this long term until I run out of my Lucas products, which I am very
    pleased with. Anyone else ever tried this? A soaked Q-tip in the grooves is fast and
    easy. Just passing along the experience.
    Oh yeah! For many years long term too albeit I keep Slip2000 around as my first choice. For no other reason than . . . well, I'm not sure.

And last year I think I read where Rob of Alchemy (custom 1911s) might have said tight 1911s do better with light lubes like a Mobil 1. Apologies in advance if I mis-ID'd that comment but I'm pretty sure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

CWM11B
    A lot of folks have advocated it for a pretty good while. The only negative I've heard is that some of the additives in it for keeping the engine clean are carcinogenic. I dont know, and suspect the risk is overstated if it actually exists. Most lubricants designed for machinery are going to work on guns. A lot of "revolutionary" gun juice has come and gone, and a bunch of the claims are basically carnie barker in nature. A quart of Mobile 1 should probably last the average shooter a lifetime. Personally, I use Slip 2000 products and have for years with no complaints.

I do this, sort of. I just use Amazon synthetic oil which is very highly rated and much cheaper.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I am running out of the assorted free lube bottles I picked up at matches, etc. I recently ordered a couple of small squeeze bottles off Amazon to use Mobil 1 - have plenty of it in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am running out of the assorted free lube bottles I picked up at matches, etc. I recently ordered a couple of small squeeze bottles off Amazon to use Mobil 1 - have plenty of it in the garage.
    I put one of those free bottles/syringes in every range bag ! But I freely lube my weapons anyway so I've never used one at the range and since I don't live in a dusty environment [anymore] it hasn't been a problem.

Site Supporter
    Another that preferrs other, cleaner stuff. But I have in the past and will in the future use synthetic motor oil in a pinch. In one of my armorers classes (AR15) it was actually recommended, to the point of using your vehicle dipstick to put a couple of drops here and there in the rifle.

pat

User Tag List