Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G48 mag catch

G48 mag catch

Is it me, or is this mag catch is impossible to remove? I've changed mag catches on Glocks many times, including one on a G43. Never an elegant procedure but nothing to worry about. Tonight I am at 25 min mark trying to lift that spring rod up, frame is in a vice, I am digging at it with everything I got, punches, surgical hemostats, it just doesn't lift. Thoughts?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Grind a notch in a cheap screwdriver and work the resulting tip between the frame and the spring. (Yeah, its a PITA!)
    Name:  A89960DE-F3AD-4491-AC0D-6A34542602F7.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  48.8 KB

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Sounds abnormally difficult.

FWIW, I have had good luck with a Snap-on 45 degree pick.

Name:  IMG_3018.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  19.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Grind a notch in a cheap screwdriver and work the resulting tip between the frame and the spring. (Yeah, its a PITA!)
    That almost looks like a Lowe's paint can opener...

Name:  apaint.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  7.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

FWIW, I have had good luck with a Snap-on 45 degree pick.

Name:  IMG_3018.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  19.7 KB
    I have a steel version of that that came in a pick set I bought somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I ended up breaking a surgical hemostat yesterday. It is a soft and thin steel, but it is a steel. Taking this to the gunsmith today.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I bought a $2 pick set at harbor freight and used one of the tools to release the bar on my 43x. Yes, it was a pain!
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    That almost looks like a Lowe's paint can opener...

Name:  apaint.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  7.9 KB
    RJ et. al., I see the optional illusion in the pic I posted, but - that is a plain ol’ flathead screwdriver that I put on a bench grinder for about 15 seconds. And I got that spring out on (I think) my second attempt. After screwing with it for way too long with a bunch of other things including a couple of dental pics that I bent the crap out of. That 45 degree Snap On pic looks like the ticket, but I probably have less than $2 in my “tool”.

An enhanced version of my tool would take a little more off toward the handle end making the ground out section longer and skinnier - but it worked just fine as is. Not sure why these mag catch springs are such a pain, but they are.

This is reminding me that I need two spares so I can break the front edge of the buttons - I don’t care for the sharp edge, I’m used to the rolled feel of the extended releases I put on my other Glocks.

Edit - I just saw that Vickers does a low profile mag release for the little Glocks. I’m not usually a fan of aftermarket parts in Glocks, but I may just go this route.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 02-29-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List