Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Testified in an Ohio House Committee hearing yesterday about our CCW law

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I never worked as an LEO in the state, so my knowledge is limited to my obligation as a CCW / LEOSA carrier. We have a few NC LEOs here that can fill in more on the criminal code side.
    Ok. Thx. I’m always amazed at how much easier other states’ laws are to read than ours.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I never worked as an LEO in the state, so my knowledge is limited to my obligation as a CCW / LEOSA carrier. We have a few NC LEOs here that can fill in more on the criminal code side.
    Statue requires notification...but I personally don’t get all wrapped around the axle about it. When we (in my area of NC and the software we use) run your license plate we get several responses back, including any CCW information. If I see it I don’t even ask anymore. It surprises most folks when they hand me their CCW and I say, “ I already know, you can hold on to it”.

Newer LEOs can get a little wrapped...especially those with little firearms knowledge.

Not sure if that helped...?

And in regards to the FOP/PBA. Save your money...I wasted my dues money on PBA and FOP for years before I figured out they were useless, especially in non-union states like N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Statue requires notification...but I personally don’t get all wrapped around the axle about it. When we (in my area of NC and the software we use) run your license plate we get several responses back, including any CCW information. If I see it I don’t even ask anymore. It surprises most folks when they hand me their CCW and I say, “ I already know, you can hold on to it”.

Newer LEOs can get a little wrapped...especially those with little firearms knowledge.

Not sure if that helped...?
    Is there any sort of timeframe you guys use or that a court has established is the window in which the notification has to occur?

For example, our law says “promptly”. There have been drivers threatened with criminal charges because they waited for the Ofc to finish telling them who he was and why they were stopped before telling the Ofc about their armed status. So what? 5 or 10 seconds into the encounter?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Is there any sort of timeframe you guys use or that a court has established is the window in which the notification has to occur?

For example, our law says “promptly”. There have been drivers threatened with criminal charges because they waited for the Ofc to finish telling them who he was and why they were stopped before telling the Ofc about their armed status. So what? 5 or 10 seconds into the encounter?
    Lon, I amended my post above with the relevant sections. I highlighted the main areas in each paragraph.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The only pro is if you let me know and I then see it, I may be less startled than if I just see it. However I don’t find the mere presence of a gun something to freak out over and point to someone as a criminal. Whether they have a ccw or not, it’s the totality of the circumstances that dictates reaction.
    In TX does one need a CCW to have it in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

It’s supposed to be when you are approached...but that can mean different things for each officer. I don’t know anyone who has charged any violation for failing to notify. As long as it comes early on in the encounter there shouldn’t be an issue.

Page 45 should answer the question better than I:

https://ncdoj.gov/ncja/download/102/...earms-laws.pdf

Lon, I amended my post above with the relevant sections. I highlighted the main areas in each paragraph.
    Perfect. Thank you very much. Currently a violation of our law can get you 6 months in jail.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Site Supporter
    I don’t have any issues with notifications, as was mentioned before I would rather hear about it from the person than observe it on my own. It likely helps in some circumstances to prevent misunderstandings.

I am an FOP member, and I have also been frustrated with some of the laws they have supported.
    Polite Professional

I wonder what the Ohio FOP thinks about this..................

That is more than reason enough, by itself, to scrap every single word about notification.

Ohio police unions have fought tooth and nail against any logical, common sense reform of our firearm laws. Our concealed carry law was a complete f-ing joke and a clusterfuck of confusion when it passed in 2004, mostly thanks to the then superintended of the highway patrol and the state FOP.

Thankfully the legislature since then has mostly ignored the FOP and the occasional harpies that show up in Columbus about the streets running red if any of the idiotic stuff still in the books is discarded.

Lon thanks for standing up for all of us. You guys on the road and on the streets know we're not your problem.

I assume anyone migh be carrying. A permit holder also has already had a background check so I'm not that concerned about permit holders.
    Our sergeants are members of the FOP/OLC but there is no active lodge anymore in our county.

User Tag List