Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Testified in an Ohio House Committee hearing yesterday about our CCW law

I was going to start another thread in another topic, but not sure exactly where. I thought about Mindset & Tactics, but it really isn't, it is about interacting with LE.

Just got home from helping to chill out our friend that lives here:
    Name:  Shit.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  51.4 KB
    Dirtbags that were not exactly running from the police, they were running because the police had been called. By the time we get there is lots of PD presence, along with fire, and gas company (the neighbor's house got disconnected) and soon to be towing company. So there is lots going on. I had not been "stopped for a law enforcement purpose", in other words the police did not initiate the contact. When I thought it was appropriate I casually mentioned to one of the guys that "not exactly sure about the rules, but just letting you know I have a CHL", he replied with "gotcha" and all is cool. But I didn't exactly do this "promptly", and now that I have reread the current law instead of relying on my ancient training I am wondering if any of this was necessary. OTOH if when I was crawling under the wrecked truck to try and retrieve some of our friend's property before they drug a truck back over it somebody might have seen the pistol.

Anyway, just another day in the life in Ohio.

ETA: Still trying to decide if it helped calm our friend by telling her she is damn lucky that truck is not in her living room.

You did good, Lon. Many, many moons ago I testified on two separate occasions before the Nebraska Senate Judiciary committee in favor of CCW licensing before it became law. It can be a little daunting, but like anything else, after you do it a couple of times, you understand how the flow goes.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    You did good, Lon. Many, many moons ago I testified on two separate occasions before the Nebraska Senate Judiciary committee in favor of CCW licensing before it became law. It can be a little daunting, but like anything else, after you do it a couple of times, you understand how the flow goes.
    Thanks Chuck.

I had a chance to speak one on one with one of the Committee members this past Saturday. We were both at a 2A meeting and he came up to me and thanked me for testifying. We had a good chat and I made sure he knew that the State FOP doesn’t speak for nearly as many cops as they claim. He told me he was figuring that out and that he appreciated me giving a pro-gun LE perspective.

I’ll definitely do it again.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Thanks for your efforts Lon. I was driving on I-71 when there was a terrible high speed accident in front of me. I was carrying appendix at the time. I pulled over quickly and got out of the car to aide one of the cars where the driver was hurt. In my haste I did not disarm. While trying to help the driver, a police officer came upon the scene and started to speak with me because I was a witness. There were screaming children in the back seat. Under Ohio law, I needed to immediately tell the officer I was armed, quite possibly further upsetting the driver and children in the car if they overheard. I did inform as required but only after pulling the officer aside and out of earshot. I then got yelled at for slowing down the officer. Under Ohio law, I couldn’t wait until later to inform. It’s a stupid law and needs to go.

IMO, laws like this represent a danger to LE and civilians. (NC resident)

I'm too lazy to link to my post on being in a bad car wreck, but long story short, after a 55 mph collision has rattled you, tbe last thing you want to deal with is telling tbe approaching Trooper about the pistol in your pocket.

It gave tbe trooper a bad moment, despite me having both hands in the air and my DL and CCL in one hand.

He didn't feel like he needed to know about it, so why did I need to tell him? (Hell, he seemed shocked I bothered. My impression is that many folks ignore this law entirely.)

It just makes citizen/LE encounters a hair more tense for no gain whatsoever.

(If you assume you will be in a 100% clear state of mind at all times while carrying, keep in mind even never drinking a drop of booze ever is no guarantee of that.)
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List