Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB in the national news

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hmmmm. There’s a fair amount to unpack in that article, and at least a few unanswered questions.

Regardless, it sounds like we lost one of the good ones. Very sad.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Much more thorough story than I'd expect from the generic USA Today.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Upon reading then watching the simulation with noted narration, it sounds like both the gun and holster was removed from his belt. The holstered pistol was on the passenger floor. He may initially have been trying to remove the holster from his belt, say for driving comfort or something and dislodged the pistol from the holster and in trying to control things while driving, fired it.

With some clip or other removable designs, one's hand can slip up off the clip and hit the grip of the pistol with one's wrist etc. It's like milking rattlesnakes (so I surmise milking rattle snakes to be).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Sad event. So very sad. I remember reading the news story, at the time. One take-way of this new information is that the path of the bullet does not indicate that the muzzle was oriented in the way most of us carry a pistol at AIWB, as it seems the bullet traveled into his left femoral artery, through part of the seat, and into the driver’s door. So, this was not, necessarily, a re-holstering error, and, not necessarily an error made made while drawing the weapon. The sequence of events may well be totally independent of AIWB carry.

Let’s all be careful, please.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Seeing that his rig was not in place, at the time of the investigation, I wonder about three things:

1. Was the officer traveling with his weapon tucked into his waistband, while not wearing his holster/rig, at the time this happened? This could have resulted in a weapon oriented cross-draw style, intentionally or unintentionally.

2. Had the officer been traveling with his weapon off-body, and then decided, for whatever reason, to tuck the weapon into his waistband, while driving?

3. Could the officer have been wearing his rig, at the time of the discharge, and then removed the rig, to clear the area for self-aid, or to attempt to use his belt as a field-expedient tourniquet?

There are several other possibilities/combinations, but these quickly rise to the top.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

To never mess with your AIWB carry while operating a motor vehicle seems as close to an absolute rule as comes to mind right now. Regardless of how it really went down in his SUV that night. Just an agonizing story.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    To never mess with your AIWB carry while...
    ...in a sitting position is a cardinal rule. I am too lazy to be compiling the cases of AIWB-related mortality but I think nearly all deaths I've heard of were exactly that, doing something with gun / holster while seated.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    ...in a sitting position is a cardinal rule. I am too lazy to be compiling the cases of AIWB-related mortality but I think nearly all deaths I've heard of were exactly that, doing something with gun / holster while seated.
    +1. The one I first heard of was of a man driving on I-5 I think around Seattle. He was getting pinched, so he started shifting his G27 around and blew out his femoral. Then just a few years ago in a Facebook screed against AIWB Bruce Gray related being on site when an acquaintance did similar seated in a parked car and died from it. It was clear Bruce felt it deeply to this day.

Very sad. Rest in Peace Officer Ortiz.

User Tag List