Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Custom" gunplumbing gone wrong

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

"Custom" gunplumbing gone wrong

Grit blasted top strap, including serrations and muzzle.

Doesn't seem to have understood the purpose of chamfering the cylinder. Or doesn't know which end the bullets come out of. Either or...

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/858795831

Really sad to see these things done on such a rare item. At least S&W defaced it with a lock first.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The top strap looks factory to me; that is how S&W did those guns. I am not sure if the "black powder" cylinder chamfer is factory, but S&W did it on some "special edition" guns for distributors in the time frame (2008-2010).

Site Supporter
    I don't think that revolver has been in the hands of a gunsmith. That all looks factory to me.

Dave

Looks factory-configuration to me, too. That is how far S&W has fallen.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Grit blasted top strap, including serrations and muzzle.

Doesn't seem to have understood the purpose of chamfering the cylinder. Or doesn't know which end the bullets come out of. Either or...

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/858795831

Really sad to see these things done on such a rare item. At least S&W defaced it with a lock first.
    That is a factory gun. Likely a “limited edition” made up of what ever spare parts S&W had left over from other guns.

As noted chamfering on the front is known as “black powder” chamfering - it is intended to prevent the revolver being tied up by unburnt powder - which is definitely a thing if you actual shoot revolvers in volume. Chuck Haggard, Dagga Booy, Wayne Dobbs etc can tell you about needing to keep a toothbrush on ones person to periodically scrub the cylinder and under the extractor star to get through a training session.

The first S&W mountain revolvers had the black powder chamfering.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I am familiar with the model. It's SKU 163357. There was one for sale while back that the seller claimed had been given an action tune by Denny Reichard.

I do not recall the grit blasting coming down to the muzzle and into the crown on that example, and this one has a deeply pitted look as you'd get from using too rough a blast media. Factory blasted S&W finishes are usually much smoother than these photos seem to show.

I also am familiar with the black powder chamfer around the OD of the cylinder. What really caught my eye was the chamfering of the charge holes on the front of the cylinder, including how rough and chattery the cuts are. The only time I've seen chamfers of charge holes on the front of the cylinder discussed, it was when someone didn't understand the process and got after it themselves, only later to realize, "I dun f'ed up."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I also am familiar with the black powder chamfer around the OD of the cylinder. What really caught my eye was the chamfering of the charge holes on the front of the cylinder, including how rough and chattery the cuts are. The only time I've seen chamfers of charge holes on the front of the cylinder discussed, it was when someone didn't understand the process and got after it themselves, only later to realize, "I dun f'ed up."
    I once sent a NIB M625-5 back for the same charge hole chamfer issue; it looked like the tool PM had been skipped. S&W replaced the cylinder.

Site Supporter
    I am familiar with the model. It's SKU 163357. There was one for sale while back that the seller claimed had been given an action tune by Denny Reichard.

I do not recall the grit blasting coming down to the muzzle and into the crown on that example, and this one has a deeply pitted look as you'd get from using too rough a blast media. Factory blasted S&W finishes are usually much smoother than these photos seem to show.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I once sent a NIB M625-5 back for the same charge hole chamfer issue; it looked like the tool PM had been skipped. S&W replaced the cylinder.
    I had a 7 shot 686 PRO that had 5 chambers with one size throat and two with smaller throats.

Nice of the seller to call out that this is NOT a Performance Center gun.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

THIS is "Custom" gunplumbing gone wrong:

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List