Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred Iron Sights

I think the MBUS Pros are the best choice for BUIS right now.

I do like the KAC offerings, but they are pricey. I'm also one of the few who thought the KAC approach with an integrated front BUIS in the URX II was pretty slick.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Knights make the very best, but you’ll pay for them. Magpul MBUS Pros are probably the best bang for the buck, premium, non-knockoff sights.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    FSB. Magpul (steel) or KAC rear. Irons only get a carry handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    My irons only guns hafta look good, so they get a carry handle.

Curious. Those of you running a carry handle is there an advantage over just a rear sight? I would think the carry handle would be unnecessary weight.

OP, for irons only rifles, I prefer Scalarworks. For backup irons I used to go all in with Troy metal. Now optics are reliable enough I just use the plastic Magpul.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Curious. Those of you running a carry handle is there an advantage over just a rear sight? I would think the carry handle would be unnecessary weight.
    You're right. For me, either hard to fix (A1 fixed non-removable) or came with a carry handle (weight not important enought to spend $ on good folding rear).

I did recently pick up a scalar works set, seem neat, but haven't used them yet so unsure.

Had previously used Troys in the past for fixed option, but I learned some things that put me off Troy products. Still have them, but don't advocate them for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

OP, for irons only rifles, I prefer Scalarworks. For backup irons I used to go all in with Troy metal. Now optics are reliable enough I just use the plastic Magpul.
    Nope. It's just a rear sight. I have never used it as a carry handle.

I have 'em because I like the looks. A stock 6920 like that is so light, the carry handle is inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    One of my favorite combos for an M4 was a cut A2 detachable carry handle for a fixed rear sight in tandem with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM4) in a lower 1/3 cowitness. Absolutely perfect and fast no-BS carbine setup. We don't see the cut A2 handles in the wild anymore, though.
    If there's a better combo for what I use a carbine for I've yet to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    One of my favorite combos for an M4 was a cut A2 detachable carry handle for a fixed rear sight in tandem with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM4) in a lower 1/3 cowitness. Absolutely perfect and fast no-BS carbine setup. We don't see the cut A2 handles in the wild anymore, though.
    I'm gonna be a nomenclature nazi for sec.

An A2 is a 20" rifle with a fixed carry handle, 3 round burst, government profile barrel, etc.

An M4 with a detachable carry handle sight is just an M4 sight.

I have HK style Larue folder on the front of my Larue rifle with a KAC 2-6 folding rear; and an LMT Rear and a Troy HK fixed on my BCM rifle. So far I am happy with those set ups and prefer the HK style front sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    I have HK style Larue folder on the front of my Larue rifle with a KAC 2-6 folding rear; and an LMT Rear and a Troy HK fixed on my BCM rifle. So far I am happy with those set ups and prefer the HK style front sights.
    They’re great on HK Rifles with a fixed front as your eye naturally centers the circle in circle and the fixed front is always in the center of the fixed front /smaller circle. With a height adjustable AR front post, maybe not so much.

The Larue folding sights are re-branded Troys. Their in house made fixed A1 rear is good.

Most of the troys can’t lay flat with the small aperture engaged. Otherwise nothing wrong with them.

The KAC folding and DD fixed are both good sets. Agree the Magpul MBUS Pros are likely the best bang for the buck right now.

The Magpul plastic BUIS are better than non BUIS but I’m not a big fan.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-01-2020 at 12:41 AM.

My biggest gripe with the Magpul MBUS Pro rear sight is that there is no locking mechanism for when the sight is deployed. More than once I've had the rifle slung and when it was time to shoot the next drill, the sight had folded itself back down.

Oh well, I finally have an optic (of sorts...) on the gun so the rear sight is now in its backup role. And I do appreciate that it has two aperture sizes. So I'm not sure if there's anything better for me in the market, and I'm unlikely to buy it even if there were. Still though. A locking mechanism to prevent the sight from getting knocked down would have been nice.

User Tag List