Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred Iron Sights

Preferred Iron Sights

So for those who prefer and use iron sights which irons do you use? I have used the A1 sights on my retro A1 carbine with good effect but my preferred irons are the Daniel Defense rail mounted A1 rear with standard front sight tower gas block. That's what is on my all-around AR. I am super interested in the Ultra Dyne iron sights but they are very expensive.

So what irons do you favor?

FSB with a folding rear sight like a Magpul MBUS Pro is my preferred setup. I don't run irons only. If I did, I'd used a fixed rear also.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    So for those who prefer and use iron sights which irons do you use? I have used the A1 sights on my retro A1 carbine with good effect but my preferred irons are the Daniel Defense rail mounted A1 rear with standard front sight tower gas block. That's what is on my all-around AR. I am super interested in the Ultra Dyne iron sights but they are very expensive.

So what irons do you favor?
    That is my set up as well. I use the DD rear sight with the standard front sight and a Trijicon MRO in the middle. Right now my eyes are working pretty good, so I actually prefer just the irons.

My irons only guns hafta look good, so they get a carry handle.

My red dot guns gotta look good too, so they have KAC 300M Micro rears.

ALL my uppers have fixed front sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    FSB with a folding rear sight like a Magpul MBUS Pro is my preferred setup. I don't run irons only. If I did, I'd used a fixed rear also.
    It is hard to not like the Magpuls as BUIS. For what they are and what they do and what they cost, they can't be beat. That said my setup was from before those plastic bodied sights were vetted by people I trust, so I have a Troy folding rear with a standard FSB. I also run optics and BUIS. If I were setting up a gun for irons only, like I may be for my kiddos in the future, I would be using an A2 carry handle or chopped carry handle, hands down, all day.

pat

I use the standard plastic mbuis for most of my rifles, they are true back up sights. If I were to use irons only I'd go with fixed metal sights as I honestly hate the mbuis for any extended use. I have some 45 offset magpul pros that I like ok. Like I said tho, as far as back up sights go I see no reason to spend more than what I do with the standard polymer mbuis. They are plenty rugged enough for there intended use in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    It is hard to not like the Magpuls as BUIS. For what they are and what they do and what they cost, they can't be beat. That said my setup was from before those plastic bodied sights were vetted by people I trust, so I have a Troy folding rear with a standard FSB. I also run optics and BUIS. If I were setting up a gun for irons only, like I may be for my kiddos in the future, I would be using an A2 carry handle or chopped carry handle, hands down, all day.

pat
    I'm referring to the MBUS PROs which are steel. I don't care for the plastic version.

Site Supporter
    I love the traditional FSB and A2 sights, but I've got a lot of trigger time with that combo so it just feels like home. The USMC-issue KAC folding rear sight is pretty damn good too, though expensive. You can do some impressively good work with an M16A4 with those sights at 500-600M once they're zeroed if the rest of the weapon and ammo can do it.
    That said, I've found that cheap detachable A2 carry handles have cheap sights, and it's worth the money to buy a USGI or higher end one to ensure all the windage and elevation and the sight itself are all correct and consistent. If you're going to do a 25M zero and just Kentucky windage/elevation for your use of irons, that's not as critical though.

I don't particularly care for the plastic MagPul sights, they are backup sights not primaries. But the Mbus Pro models made out of metal aren't too bad.

One of my favorite combos for an M4 was a cut A2 detachable carry handle for a fixed rear sight in tandem with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM4) in a lower 1/3 cowitness. Absolutely perfect and fast no-BS carbine setup. We don't see the cut A2 handles in the wild anymore, though.

FSB. Magpul (steel) or KAC rear. Irons only get a carry handle.

CWM11B
    On my FSB guns, I've got Larue fixed rail mounted rear sights. On straight slick rail guns, I've got DD irons. All are A1 configuration

User Tag List