Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Guys: Don’t Do This to Your Guns

Site Supporter

Gun Guys: Don’t Do This to Your Guns

Bill Wilson and Ken H. Discuss their pet peeves on firearm care. Around the 6:00 mark they start discussing the 2000 round challenge. They also discuss their thoughts on lube and how often they clean their guns.

Theirs is one way, not the way.

Meh.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

With how durable and reliable modern pistol designs are you’re kind of splitting hairs on how much harm you’re really causing to a pistol doing a “2,000 round challenge”. It may not be the greatest for it, but it’s not going to cause the pistol to break down prior to 20,000 rounds so long as you're continuing to do other PM, like replacing springs at the appropriate times.

Pick a maintenance schedule, stick to it, drive on, replace as needed. Personally I clean my guns every 500 rounds or so and replace springs when recommended. Add lube as needed.

Site Supporter
    My takeaway from this video was that 1911, especially high-end custom models, are delicate snowflakes not suitable for hard use. So, for the price of a gun that apparently can't tolerate hard use, I can get a couple Glocks, a couple cases of ammo, and a training class or two, with money left over for dinner.

Which option would suit most people better?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    My takeaway from this video was that 1911, especially high-end custom models, are delicate snowflakes not suitable for hard use. So, for the price of a gun that apparently can't tolerate hard use, I can get a couple Glocks, a couple cases of ammo, and a training class or two, with money left over for dinner.

Which option would suit most people better?

Chris
    heh heh heh yea, I got that vibe too.

Of course 2000 round test proves something, which is an intrinsic reliability of a gun, tested by an exposure to exaggerated and unrealistic conditions of use. That British show where the Toyota Hillux was drowned, smashed, and blown up, or down, nobody called that stupid.

I don't think that high end 1911s are either delicate or won't hold to a heavy duty use tho.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Folks, remember to change your oil and give your engine a tune up every 3000 miles...…….

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    heh heh heh yea, I got that vibe too.
    Which is hilarious coming from two people who extoll the virtues of and pimp 1911s.

That said, they’ve both stated that 1911s aren’t fragile porcelain dolls that need to be baby’d. They just require a little more mindfulness of care than your run of the mill Glock. Which, when you break down exactly what that means, is way more indicative of just how lazy and inept a lot of people are vs how insufficient the 1911 design is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Folks, remember to change your oil and give your engine a tune up every 3000 miles...…….
    And grease the points.
    #RESIST

User Tag List