Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom Eternal (and Doom 2016)

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Doom Eternal (and Doom 2016)

Yeah, so I'm definitely getting Doom Eternal. I finally got Doom 2016 a few weeks ago after deeming my son old enough to watch/play. And it is a hoot. The graphics, and levels, and gameplay...this ain't yo daddy's Doom (and I'm now old enough to be the dad here).

Most of what I play is the Zelda series and similar RPG-ish games. You've got time to stand around and scope out the situation. Not in Doom - the monsters hunt you down like crackhead panhandlers, and there's plenty of 'em. If you stand around you get dogpiled. I had to adjust pretty quick to that.

I don't play much in the way of FPS anymore, but these look good.

I really need to finish Superhot first. It's been the better part of a year....stuck on a bad level in an elevator.

And I should really get my $$$ worth out of Civ VI first. But I'm usually too tired for that kind of brain effort.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I think Doom was the first and only FPS I ever bothered to finish. Might have been one other War type that I did with my nephews in NH but I don't recall what it was called. It was about 2006 or so.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Ah, the pleasant memories of staying up until the wee hours of the morning playing Doom and other FPS games.

Nowadays it's browsing internet forums during the daylight hours reading posts about people reminiscing the days of late night gaming.

cc

My son smokes me on any FPS. He’s good, he really is. I’m more of a Zelda/Final Fantasy type player. Breath of the Wild is outstanding.

But if you want to go around shooting demons in the face for a while, Doom is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doom in 1993 was a revolutionary experience. Got the first levels free on trial floppy.

"Back in my day...." Oldies olding out.

I have to say one thing that really cut my playing shooters was being in the first dull hour of Mass Effect Andromeda, (loved 1-3) having trouble hitting a bad guy, and chucking the controller and realizing that getting frustrated at not being able to do a virtual task that I do OK with in real life was really silly.

Particularly when I can walk out my back door and open fire at will.

Never got back to that game.

I still love top down shooters. Assault Android Cactus is good fun for a few minutes here and there.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Doom 2016 was crazy fun -- and really hard on the upper difficulties. Can't wait for Doom Eternal.

The only games I ever play any more are pretty much Doom and Close Combat.

I played most of it on the middle difficulty level. Every now and then if I got stuck I’d bump it down one. I just want to play and have fun, not get my ass kicked. But I still can’t bring myself to put it on easy mode.

I never played 2016, but the OG Doom and Doom 2, hell yes!

But when it comes to FPS games, NOTHING drives me more crazy than when a character takes 13 minutes to work the pump on a shotgun while taking it off the target. Same goes for pistol or rifle reloads, but shotguns are always the biggest offenders in those games.

Site Supporter
    Wolf 3D started, but the first DOOM sank the hook in me for FPS gaming. I'd hid a copy of Doom II on my high school network and our teacher never could figure out how we playing that game all the time, it was really fun doing 4 player deathmatch gaming over the IPX/SPX local network after school hours. Our teacher even joined in a few times, but he only really got any of us with lucky rockets or BFG rounds.

Simpler times... I haven't had time to game really since Mass Effect 3 or so, but a new Doom title could bring me back

User Tag List