Thread: My 625 and me...fate?

My 625 and me...fate?

Name:  IMG_20200225_232335027.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  80.8 KB

Back in the late 90's I wished out loud for a 5" 625 as an "ideal nightstand gun" on some gun forum--THR maybe?

My father-in-law died within the year and left the gun above behind. Too bad we never talked about guns.

It is the gun that converted me to revolvers, the gun I dryfired with a dime on the barrel many nights, the gun that took me from "shotgun patterns" to "groups."

The gun that I learned what trigger control meant on.

The gun that helped the boy who was picked last in gym class overcome feeling physically retarded.

It has a nice trigger job, too. Only my similarly modified (but ultra-light pull weight) m17 competes for the same level of my love .

Just gushing.

It could use some better grips, however.

I have medium/large hands, dislike finger grooves, and I like lighter colored woods with swirly patterns. The "coke bottle" style I have seen on a major manufacturer's site looked good. The Nill grips I have seen look badass, but my Google-fu never led me to what I was visualizing.

Suggestions are appreciated. Budget is strained at the moment, so as with many other RFIs I have posted lately, I probably won't be moving too soon on a purchase . But I am trying to mull over purchases, lately.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

That is a round butt, correct?
    Herrett's is a good place to start, spring for the highly figured wood. http://www.herrettstocks.com/roper.htm
    Grashorn stag's are always nice, add a grip adapter and = heaven. http://grashornsgunworks.com/
    There are a some Spegal N-Frame RB Combats for sale over on another sight, $250 shipped, but SPEGAL!

ETA: PM me for info on the Spegal's if interested.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    It could use some better grips, however.
    Budget is strained at the moment
    https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/k-round/
    While many of their offerings have features you do not desire, they are IMO a bargain. The ALTAI without any checkering I think looks and feels nice and are only $42. I might even have a version in the Silverblack I didn't end up using...

Site Supporter
    I am just now coming around there...where a DA trigger is THE trigger to learn... I just bought a DAO revolver, and I see myself sliding into revolver madness...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/k-round/
    While many of their offerings have features you do not desire, they are IMO a bargain. The ALTAI without any checkering I think looks and feels nice and are only $42. I might even have a version in the Silverblack I didn't end up using...
    I had looked at that site.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/n-round/

I like the olive wood grips, but I have a feeling the rosewood would go better with stainless.

But I wonder if the "coke bottle" style would fit me better. My Model 17 has a thick target grip that is my favorite. Usually, my complaint about revolver grips is "too thin." The Pachmayr on currently makes me feel like my fingers are a bit squished. I never tried to mount the Hogue monogrip that I found with the 625 (couldn't find all the mounting hardware anyway) because it certainly is all wrong for me.

Name:  IMG_20200226_172105838.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  28.6 KB

I wouldn't mind another half-inch of length on the bottom of that grip on my 17. The width is close to perfect, could go a bit wider.

Hell, I like the smooth Pachmayr on my Trooper better than the finger grooved style on the 625. But I definitely prefer the look and feel of wood to plastic.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

BTW, I am severely red/green colorblind, which is why darker wood does nothing for me. I wish my 17 grip was lighter. (Colorwise)
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Hogue wood grips can be ordered with only one fingergroove (at the top), or without fingergrooves at all. I preferred the non-fingergroove version, myself.

User Tag List